Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys;

I want to detail my engine bay while my motor (302) is being prepped for install. I have a 69 Z/28 with power brakes; front disks and rear drums. My Mastery Cylinder and booster are kinda crapped-up and I'm thinking of going through that stuff while I can get at it. I'm thinking about going to big brakes at some point, but won't be part of my engine swap project. Should I just go with a stock master and booster, or would you recommend that I start the upgrade now, and move out toward the brakes when time/money permits? I'm not too familiar with all these brake upgrade kits, and whether you can do partial upgrades or if it all has to be done at one time. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
931 Posts
My first thought would be why do you want big brakes. Power brakes on your car right now should be good. My thinking would be redue your current M/C and booster. Drive your car and really see if you want to change your brakes. Then if so, your current setup will be clean and rebuilt. Keep it all together and replace with the conversion all at once with a complete setup. Originallity of brake parts would not be destroyed.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
A rebuild master cylinder is cheap enough to just get one that is correct for now. Upgrade the master along with the brakes later.

The booster on the other hand will work for these brakes or the upgrades.
So either replace this one or repaint it and make it look good.

I am sorry but "originality of brake parts" the car is 40 years old, everything has been replaced at least once already.
Upgrade the brakes if you want.

·
Registered
726 Posts
One word of advise..never use reman master cylinders...I've
been in automotive repair business for over 45 years and reman master cylinder and water pumps aren't worth the boxes they come in.
buy good quailty new and be done with it. Jay

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, guys! Yes, I'm sure these brakes have been done more than once. The numbers on the booser and MC don't match to what they should be from the factory. I will probably just replace Booster and MC with new parts, and decide on an upgrade later on if necessary. Thanks again.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
We do have the aftermarket AND factory style booster/Master kits....We have the Delco stamped boosters, 309 cast masters and round hold off valves.

However if you plan on going big brake later I would set you up with the aftermarket style prop kits....Then the prop can be modified in the future to run rear disc and you can run now with rear drums.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts