Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there supposed to be something in the hole on the bottom right? It is the front chamber of the MC. It has threads in it and one book shows a "stop screw". I have the chassis and overhaul manuals and none of them show this in detail. This is the 346 MC for 68 Z.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,156 Posts
Yes, a stop screw holds the front piston in it's proper location. It's a screw with an unthreaded protrusion that stops the piston. You could make one by grinding off the end threads of a bolt that fits that thread. It should stick down into the bore by enough to hold the piston but not interfere with the spring. I"d guess 1/8" or so.
David

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David. I need a blow up of the MC. I had it rebuilt and this was missing so now I don't trust any of it. It could be alright, I've forgotten to put in a screw or two, but I need to check. I had the booster restored, new brake lines, and have spent a lot of hours cleaning and painting old parts. I don't want to bleed all this and have to take it apart. Anyone know a source that shows breakdown of this MC? The Chassis overhaul doesn't show this one. It shows the non-power one if that's the same.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I never see the screw in rebuilt masters, but they seem to work fine. I put it back in when I rebuild if it had one before.
It makes it a little easier to get the primary piston and snap ring back in.

I recently got a 346 cast from a 77 vette which has no stop screw. I believe it to be an unmolested cylinder, OE, but I could be wrong.

edit: and the non-power master picture will work...

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I e-mailed the rebuilder/seller and he said most cores don't have one and they don't use them anyway. Shouldn't be a problem. I was about to put everything back together when I noticed the open hole with a thread and looked in the repair manual and saw a screw was suppossed to be there. I didn't want to fire it up and have to take it apart again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.