Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting disc brakes on my 67 camaro. Can any one tell me the best master cylinder to use. I heard once to use a 71 corvette master cylinder. They will be manual disc brakes. Can you also tell me if I can use the proportional valve from a 76 firebird or should I just plum the fronts brakes direct and use an adjustable valve on the rears? Lots of questions but you input will be very helful. Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
davidpozzi- Yes my plan is to use stock 71 monty carlo calipiers and rotors. Use a 1" master cylinder from a 76 firebird with the proportioning valve from a power disc 76 firebird. Will the proportioning valve work since it is from a power disc 1 1/8'' master? Will the braking force between the front disc to the back drums be alright on my 67 since the valve is from a 76 firebird?

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I converted my manual drum brake 68 camaro to manual front disc/rear drum I tried a few different master cylinders. I ended up using a 1967 Firebird manual master cylinder with 1 1/8" bore. This was available from Napa. I only have about 500 miles on the new brakes, but so far so good. I don't have a proportioning valve on the system. I just plumbed/rearranged how the lines go into the existing brake line routing valve under the master cylinder. I know this isn't a proportioning valve but decided to see how they would work without it. I haven't had any problems yet.

For reference: I used 1975 1/2 ton truck calipers (2 15/16" pistons) and 1975 corvette rotors (11 3/4").

·
Registered
771 Posts
On the master, you could use a 1". The 76 Firebird manual brake master uses a shorter pushrod with a retainer for the master. The Corvette one has a deeper hole in the back of the master, and should fit your original pushrod without a retainer.

On the prop valve, it hasn't a care which master you use. It is chosen based primarily on wheel brake torque and weight transfer. The one for the 76 Firebird was used with larger rear cylinders with otherwise the same brakes front and rear, and similar vehicle weight.

·
10,144 Posts
67vert said:
davidpozzi- Yes my plan is to use stock 71 monty carlo calipiers and rotors. Use a 1" master cylinder from a 76 firebird with the proportioning valve from a power disc 76 firebird. Will the proportioning valve work since it is from a power disc 1 1/8'' master? Will the braking force between the front disc to the back drums be alright on my 67 since the valve is from a 76 firebird?
I would use a 1" bore MC from a third gen corvette with manual brake option. This one should have the deep hole for manual brake use so the pushrod won't fall out.
The prop valve should work but if you want the best possible rear brake percentage, then just use the drum distribution block and put an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line, then set it so the fronts lock before the rears do.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
ohcscott said:
Do you have a part#? The 60-8555 in the pic has a 1" bore.
The protype is currently on my car, and I gave it the thumbs up to Wilwood to start production. It should be available shortly, although it's currently in our 2006 catalog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts