Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple questions re #'s. Where do I find the eng. # and what number should it match?. I have looked at a 67 recently and the tag on the firewall, and the driver door tag are different. Also what are correct replacement #'s if not original block. Thanks Mark

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
There are no correct numbers if they don't match. In that case the engine isn't original any more and no attempt should be made to pass off a replacement engine as original.

Now to answer the question;

On a 67 the engine assembly code and partial VIN number will be stamped on a machined pad on the block where the head and block join on the front passenger side of the engine. The partial VIN will be in the format of 17N (or L)xxxxxx where the last 6 x's equal the last 6 numbers of your cars VIN. The VIN is the number on the door frame. The engine assembly code will be something like V####xx where the #= a numeral, and the xx = a letter. There are several first letters (V in the above example) that tell you where the engine was built. This is the assembly code and it tells you what the engine is.

The tag on the firewall and on the door frame relate to each other but they do not match. Post the numbers here letter for letter and number for number and someone will decode them for you.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 Pace Car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark for the response-The door frame # 's are-124677N242832, firewall #'s are 124677 NOR 142464 T-2(I only took these down, ) and the engine # as far as I could make out was VM0512ME.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark C:
There are no correct numbers if they don't match. In that case the engine isn't original any more and no attempt should be made to pass off a replacement engine as original.

Now to answer the question;

On a 67 the engine assembly code and partial VIN number will be stamped on a machined pad on the block where the head and block join on the front passenger side of the engine. The partial VIN will be in the format of 17N (or L)xxxxxx where the last 6 x's equal the last 6 numbers of your cars VIN. The VIN is the number on the door frame. The engine assembly code will be something like V####xx where the #= a numeral, and the xx = a letter. There are several first letters (V in the above example) that tell you where the engine was built. This is the assembly code and it tells you what the engine is.

The tag on the firewall and on the door frame relate to each other but they do not match. Post the numbers here letter for letter and number for number and someone will decode them for you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
V0512ME is a 67 327/210HP engine equipped with a 2 speed power glide transmission. It was built in the Flint Engine Plant (V) on May 12 (0512) 1967.

The Vin number indicates a V-8 Convertible built around the end of June 1967 (06E) in the Norwood Ohio Assembly plant

The trim tag (firewall number) indicates a 67 convertible with standard interior built in the same time frame.

The car was Capri Cream with a black convertible top (T-2) originally.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 Pace Car

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you post the complete trim tag in the "Tag Team" forum - we can give you a complete rundown on options...

Steve

PS - if Mark is correct (0 not M) on engine pad - this very well may be the correct, original engine for your car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts