Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I'm trying to see how much HP I can get for between $800-$1000. I have already installed a catback exhaust, K&N filters. Thats about it. So what else can I do for my price range to get more power? I will eventually drop more money into the engine but for now thats all I got, I'll scrape more money together in June, when that happens I'll get a Nitrous system etc.. But excluding Nitrous whats the best way to get another 40-60HP? any suggestions?

------------------
1990 Camaro IROC-Z 305 TPI.

www.geocities.com/camaromandan/home.html

·
Retired
26,647 Posts
What rear gear ratio do you have? I think a gear change might give you more bang for the buck than a mod to up your HP. A new torqur converter with a higher stall if your looking for off the line increases. And or headers and a chip but the headers might require a different exhaust and you have already put money into that...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can buy parts for the TPI like a bigger throttle body, more lb/hr injectors, adjustable fuel regulator, after market intake runners and even after market intake manifold. All that should be close to $800 and add a set of headers for around $350-400. Of coarse an upgrade to a 5.7l engine will net you the biggest hp increase.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 3.42 rear end ratio. I dont wanna go and more than that. My top end is already noticeable suffering above 170km/h so I'll keep the rear end ratio. Nah I dont want a new engine. You can get a decent amount of power out of a 5.0 305. Worst case scenario I bore it over and make it a 317 or something. But I am pretty convinced I can still get the power I'm looking for out of my existing engine. Plus a new engine means a new tranny, and a whole whack of new components *cough* might as well by a 4th gen *cough*. So thats pretty much not going to happen. But yeah new headers would work, Can anyone vouch for a decent set and also tell me what kind of performance increase they noticed? I wouldnt need a new throttle body unless I wanted to make more than 350HP, but my plenum and runners, I could port and polish those to allow better airflow.

------------------
1990 Camaro IROC-Z 305 TPI.

www.geocities.com/camaromandan/home.html

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
headers are a good idea. For that much cash, you might be able to get yourself a new set of cylinder heads too. Instead of the headers that is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if u put money into a throttle body and high pound/hr injectors it will love a perfchip with all thator get a thing so u can prog ur computer

·
Registered
127 Posts
even if you put a 350 you wouldn't have to change the tranny. Buy yourself a good set of heads, intake, throttle body, and injectors and it should be alright.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts