Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading for a few days now on this and other sites trying to find out what is the widest rim you can run on a lowered 69 Camaro without rubbing issues or rolled fenders. Some say 9.5" is the widest rear rim you can run while others say 10" will fit too (using nitto or toyo tires) emphasizing the tire brand is more of the problem than the .5" extra rim width. As for the fronts, most agree an 8" rim works well but some also complain of rubbing at full lock. I'm guessing it is also due to the size & brand of tires used. I'm asking because the rims I like for the rear are offered in 18 x 8 and 18 x 10" with no options inbetween. Front rims will not be a problem as they have both 7 & 8" widths. Anyone has experience with this dilemma?

thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
If the car is very low (top of the tire inside the fender to the lip of the wheel) 3" drop the 10 is going to be a TIGHT fit. Lots of variables here - original sheet metal or repo 1/4s - do both sides have the same amount of room? I know on my car I could NOT fit a 10 there is just not enough room. Most people have to roll the lip and message the inner wheel well to get a 10 to fit. However there are people here running them and with a tire as big as 285. The point is each car is a little different and you have to measure carefully. If you can't fit the 10 look at some other wheels. Several companies make 18x9s and they will work with a 275/40 tire. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im running Vette wheels on my camaro and its lowered 2 in the rear and 3 in the front. The rears fit perfect 18 x 9.5 with 275/40/18 falken, but the fronts i had to take the fender wells out because i cut 3/4 coil off of the hotchkis 2'' drop springs already on there. 17 x 9.5 with 255/40/17 riken tire.

Next tire change i do im going with a 285 tire in the back because i have about 1'' of clearence both sides.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
there's also the option of buying the rims and then getting them custom sized (width) by someone else.

I know of a well-reputed business doing just that but I am at work and the info is at home. They've been referenced at pro-touring.com several times.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Im running 18x10's on the back of my 69 with 3" DSE drop springs. Tires are BFG KD's 275/40/18's. On my car there is no way it would fit if my fenders lips were not trimmed. Plus it still rubs just a touch on the inside. If you are worried in anyway about rubbing or cutting then go with 9.5's and 5.5" bs.
Also 5.25" bs and 9" wide rear wheels work well as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! Any pictures of a 17/18" combo on a 69 camaro? I've seen lots of 17/17" and 18/18" but no really good profile shots of 17/18". Also do the backspacing and rim widths recommendations stay the same regardless of whether you run a 17 or 18" rim?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Check out my car domain website site. I am running 18x10 on the rear and 17x8 on the front. 315/30/18 michilen pilot sport...

·
Retired
26,618 Posts
I don't think you are getting or giving enough info here. Nobody has mentioned drums vs discs in the rear. Nobodys mentioned the type of driving or how many people will be or have ridden in their cars or how full the trunk was.

I am running Budnik Anvil5 17x9.5 wheels with a 5.5" back space in the back of my '69 ragtop. With Nitto 555s 275x40's and drum brakes I was going to have to roll or trim the fender lip. This is with a 1.5" drop Hotchkis drop spring. Ended up with 255x45's and not rolling or triming but they still scrubbed a little on the inside going through a driveway.

Did a disc brake conversion in the rear and now the 255's are real close to the fender lip and so triming became necessary. With just me in the car and nothing in the trunk I might have gotten away with it but that's not how I use the car. Oh and yes there is still a little scrubing on the inner fender at times. Next I added subframe connectors which stiffened up the frame and reduces some of the convertible flex when going through a driveway at an angle to avoid scraping. Yes the tires still scrub on the inner fender ever so slightly at times...

My fronts are 17x8 with a 4.75 back spacing 235x45 Nitto555 tires and they rub lock to lock and with a 2" drop spring. A couple of the hex head fender bolts had to be replaced with low profile alan head bolts. Tried 245's but they were just too big but then I replaced my subframe bushings which I think just might have allowed for them...

That's my experiences and it's with a ragtop not a coupe, it's not as low as a lot of guys run but it's usable. I have had 4 adults in the car with the trunk full have been on trips ranging from 600 miles to just under 2000 miles fully loaded and haven't carved up my tires but they still scrub a little here and there.

If you really plan on using your car my recomendation is be conservative... If you want the look of the Mule with ultra wide tires do the mini tubs from the get go, don't try to shoe horn a size 12 foot into a size 9 shoe...

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I have 17x9.5 with 5.5 BS in the rear of my 69 convert. Tires are 275/40-17 Potenza RE750's. I had to trim a very slight amount on the pass side rear, only because the rear wasn't perfectly centered under the car. I only trimmed 1/8 - 3/16". I havent had a single rub, but also haven't had 4 people in the car, either. Same rear discs as Dennis. I can't imagine fitting anything bigger back there without doing surgery - it's very close, but seems fine.

On the fronts, I have 17 x 8 with 4.75 BS and 235/45-17. No rubs there, either. I did make some adjustable steering stops - not due to a tire rub but due to the fact that on very sharp turns the wheel would hit the upper A-arm and wipe the wheel weights off of the wheel.

Car is lowered with Hotchkis 1907 front coils and 2407 rear leafs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. My car has stock discs up front and drum rears & probably will stay that way because my car is an original Z. I just wanted to run some rims other than the rallys for a change of pace. My car is strictly a cruise night vehicle with 4 people max (myself, wife, and 2 kids).That being said, cutting is not an option. I know this is overly conservative but I was thinking about this combo to avoid any "issues":
17 x 7 (? backspacing) 215/45/17
18 x 8 (?backspacing) 245/40/18

or maybe a taller tire combo of

215/50/17
245/45/18

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

I used this site for tire specs.

Comments?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Should I run 4.75 back spacing in front and 4.5 back spacing for the rears for my conservative set-up? I will have to special order my rims so back spacing can be other than standard offerings.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I would not go to conservative cause then it just wont look "right". I would just pull the wheels off al the way around and start measuring you car and see what fits. 18x8's and 245's out back will look way to skinny.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The rims I like are only offered in 8 & 10" widths. I guess I'm stuck with an 8" wide rear rim to avoid any trimming. Would a 255/45/18(rear) & 225/50/17 (front)look okay? I don't know if this makes alot of difference but I'm trying to match the sidewall heights as close as possible.

·
Retired
26,618 Posts
I would not go to conservative cause then it just wont look "right". I would just pull the wheels off al the way around and start measuring you car and see what fits. 18x8's and 245's out back will look way to skinny.

That's subjective... The trim ring and derby set typically run a 235 and 245x60-15 and a 245x45-18 is almost identical in width and hight to the 245x60-15...

·
Retired
26,618 Posts
Kelvin - Go to www.tirerack.com and click on "tires by size" then enter a size and you'll get a bunch of tires to choose from for the size. Pick one and select spec's and go compare section width and height of tires.

Keep in mind a 9.5" wheel with 5.5" back spacing and an 8" wheel with 4.75" back spacing will hold the same size tire in the same place in the wheel well. Keep in mind that less sidewall and 18" wheels may start to look out of place if you don't lower your car and to get the width you want you may be going to a 27" tall tire.

You really need to find a look you like and match it as opposed to trying to create one. Being an orig Z/28 I think 18's are too much but that's my opinion. 255x45-17 out back on a 17x8 with 4.75 bs would fit nice. 225x45 or 235x45-17 would fit up front on the same size wheel. The 225 is an inch shorter than the 255 so you would have a 1/2" sidewall difference. The 235 would have about a 1/4" sidewall difference from the 255. Nobody will notice the 1/4", check the link in my sig...

Your other problem will be stance once you go to plus size wheels. Are you having fun with this yet? Hang in there, this is the toughest decision to make...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! That helps alot. Just alot of $$$ involved if I make the wrong decision although it wouldn't be my 1st or last time.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I test-fitted a set of 17's from my 3rd gen Camaro onto my '69 Z28:

Front: 17x8" 4.5 BS 245-45-17 Nitto 555
Rear: 17x9.5" 5.5 BS 275-40-17 Nitto 555

Hotchkis 2" drop springs in the front and 1" lowering blocks in the rear. Stock front discs and rear drums.

The left rear tire rubbed the inner fender backing out of the driveway and the right rear tire just barely rubbed the outer lip (not rolled). The left front tire just barely rubbed the outer fender trim at full lock. The right front did not rub. If the rearend were perfectly centered, I think the 17x9.5's would work. In my case, I would need a .25" spacer on the left side and the 5.25 BS wheel on the right side.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Neil,
I guess like everyone is telling me, every car is different. Car looks good! I got to take some precise measurements of my car & see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts