Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's pricey, but thinking about using one of the McLeod Hydraulic Clutch Conversion kits on my 69 Big Block Camaro... Anyone have any experience with the installation?

1434002 - Master Cylinder Firewall Kit - $329.95
1301 - Bearing/Slave Cylinder Assembly - $446.00

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but I was also looking at that kit...

Question, will that McLeod kit work with a Centerforce clutch and PP?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the untimely response... I think it would work fine with the Centerfore stuff, but there's very specific tolerance that have to be met..

Check out RAM's website... their hydraulics seem more reasonably priced.

·
14,960 Posts
I have this set up going in my 69 LS7 T56 Project. I'm running a Mantic Twin Disc.

You can by cheaper but IMO not better. The geometry of the firewall braket and the bracket that attaches the linkage to the clutch pedal arm is great.

The Hydraulic TO is night and day over the old mechanical linkage

·
Registered
48 Posts
Any updates on this kit? I am debating between this or a tick adjustable master cylinder. I heard the Wildwood master has more of a tendency to leak, any input ? Also, is this a larger bore and hose compared with stock LS1 master?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I've got this McLeod Camaro kit going into my '69. They claim it's a direct bolt-on without any mods necessary. BALONEY! I need to cut up the firewall hole. I live nearby McLeod so I called them. One of their techs came out to see the install. They said it was NOT DESIGNED using an actual car or firewall...just using the pedal assembly. The kit should not be labeled as a bolt-in...it's not and you will not be able to take a car back to stock once it's installed. AFTERMARKET FAIL!!! AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
You may want to look at this kit from Meanstreets Performance and Fabrication. He's a vendor over at Lateral G and I've been looking at using this firewall kit and looking for a slave setup for my GM bell housing. Vince actually test fitted it on actual cars.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=43781

I've got this McLeod Camaro kit going into my '69. They claim it's a direct bolt-on without any mods necessary. BALONEY! I need to cut up the firewall hole. I live nearby McLeod so I called them. One of their techs came out to see the install. They said it was NOT DESIGNED using an actual car or firewall...just using the pedal assembly. The kit should not be labeled as a bolt-in...it's not and you will not be able to take a car back to stock once it's installed. AFTERMARKET FAIL!!! AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This kit in question was designed to fit the stock pedal with just a pedal bracket bolted on with one bolt thru the stock hole in the pedal to relocate the pivot point in the correct location. In doing this, the firewall bracket had to be moved toward the left causing it to touch the fuse plug and having to relocate the hole for the M/C rod. This kit has been redesigned now and the new kit now comes with a new clutch pedal to allow the M/C rod be in the stock location as best as possible. That Kit never said bolt in with no modification needed. The whole problem was trying to save the customer money by using the stock pedal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This kit in question was designed to fit the stock pedal with just a pedal bracket bolted on with one bolt thru the stock hole in the pedal to relocate the pivot point in the correct location. In doing this, the firewall bracket had to be moved toward the left causing it to touch the fuse plug and having to relocate the hole for the M/C rod. This kit has been redesigned now and the new kit now comes with a new clutch pedal to allow the M/C rod be in the stock location as best as possible. That Kit never said bolt in with no modification needed. The whole problem was trying to save the customer money by using the stock pedal.
Fred,
It's great to see you respond and I also welcome you to the boards. I was on the fence about this kit as well and called customer service. The person on the other end was not helpful and basically seemed annoyed by my questions regarding fitment of the kit, what type of clutch recommended, and what throw out bearing/slave to use if I wanted to use an LS7 clutch. Needless to say I was definitely shying away from this kit after that call. I am local and was bummed to see this kind of support from a local vendor. Your response on this board says that maybe there is hope. Feel free to PM me if you are available to chat about this over the phone and I can make my decision on this product versus others on the market. Do you have any new photos of the kit with the new pedal? How about any pics installed on the car? If you need a test car I'm in! All the best with your endeavors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought this kit for my LS T56 72 firebird. So the bracket lives behind the master cylinder behind the brake booster and behind the Mcleod conversion kit. When you open the package up there is a cute picture of the kit installed with the mcleod rod connected on the left side of the clutch pedal so after you get the master cylinder, booster removed and cut a hole in your firewall plus get it all installed guess what. The rod contacts the fuse box even if you Try to connect it to the right side of the clutch pedal And rubs hard against where your trunk harness plugs into the fuse box. So I called their tech support number and talked to the engineer who designed it. His name is Fred Taylor and he told me that he’s not heard of any problem. That’s horse crap. Anybody trying to put this into a gen 2 Camaro or Firebird with an original engine harness and fuse box has ran into this issue. THE BRACKET IS WRONG. I had to order a new bracket from Detroit speed and I will have to modify that one.

·
14,960 Posts
This thread is 7 years. FYI I've installed several on 1st Gens without any issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought this kit for my LS T56 72 firebird. So the bracket lives behind the master cylinder behind the brake booster and behind the Mcleod conversion kit. When you open the package up there is a cute picture of the kit installed with the mcleod rod connected on the left side of the clutch pedal so after you get the master cylinder, booster removed and cut a hole in your firewall plus get it all installed guess what. The rod contacts the fuse box even if you Try to connect it to the right side of the clutch pedal And rubs hard against where your trunk harness plugs into the fuse box. So I called their tech support number and talked to the engineer who designed it. His name is Fred Taylor and he told me that he’s not heard of any problem. That’s horse crap. Anybody trying to put this into a gen 2 Camaro or Firebird with an original engine harness and fuse box has ran into this issue. THE BRACKET IS WRONG. I had to order a new bracket from Detroit speed and I will have to modify that one.
For what it's worth, I ended up going with DSE bracket/adapter/and tilton clutch master. Fabbed an adjustable pedal stop and everything works great. If clutch master goes out it's an easy fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts