Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a 50 year young man with a 68 camaro that ive been messing with for 16 years. ive still never driven it, un less you coun t backing it out of the garage and turning it around. right after installing the powerplant. well while doing this little manuver, the freaking cam bearing walked out or was not installed properly. lost all oil pressure did a big ole burnout because of frustration. motor was cheap, i didnt care if she blew. who can you trust? i took a complete engine in and only got some back. i live 150 miles from machine shop.
come to find out they didnt do the work, just hot tanked it and took what perts they wanted. they gave me the gaskets and a couple pistons that didnt match, o they will be fine said the owner of the shop. NOT,
well i took it apart and did a little research, and built a beast @ 480hp and 465fttq on pump gas with no juice. yet i still havent driven it. i watched the dyno and i have the papers with the numbers.
over the years ive bought a ton of parts, man its expensive and so cool.
ive run into some issues lately and was wondering if i could find some help.
ive lots o time and not so much money. but will work for parts.
peace all

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
What are you after Gary, engine parts or an engine?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
First, welcome to Team CAMARO Gary :thumbsup:

While in my younger days I spent many a quiet :)D) night in beautiful downtown 'Bendover' NV - driving over to that 'Salt Flat' road exit to the east every morning ... just as the sun came up - I seldom get up that way anymore :(

Sounds like you have had many of the common victories and setbacks many suffer while trying to get a project to completion - or at least some level you can enjoy driving.
The one common denominator I often find when reviewing projects where folks have hit the proverbial 'wall', is that they have reached a/the level of their talents (or patience) to continue working, learning, and evolving their skill level and have not made a commitment to move any further.
That's not an accusation that anyone is lazy, dumb, or of any other disposition that would prevent them from moving on, it's just a point where decisions need to be considered and vetted to meet your goals.
Intervention from more skilled friends can often help, but many tire fairly quickly of working on others projects unless there is a reciprocal arrangement to benefit them on their projects - be that time, items or $$$ ...
Since I know of no other TC members in your immediate area, I can't recommend a viable 'trade' arrangement with any locals. That's not to say there may not be others in your area, it's just that it may be up to you to search these willing folks out. I've often established good prospects via discussions at local Car Shows, visiting local 'Cruise-In's' to talk with 'Car-Guys', local chat sites for car folk, and even through checking into local Adult education automotive classes at nearby campuses - these can be an excellent venue to meet and work with other car guys while getting the skills, and access to facilities, to complete your project.

Hope you find the help you need and/or make a commitment to increasing your skill levels to where to can continue on with your project :beers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first off thank you, next sorry to ramble.
ive been looking for sometime now for a power steering setup for my 68 manual steering.
ive read about so much now im confused.
a good unit thats reliable, now that being said under the hood is beautiful. id like to keep this going.1 polished remote res. (ive the mounting hardware)
2 type 2 pump, polished alum (ill make the lines)
3 gearbox is there such a thing as a good looking gearbox?
gearbox ratio can someone explain its bennifits. please.
thank you

·
Super Moderator
32,608 Posts
Welcome, Gary,
Correct year and hopefully, as john suggests, you will find a compromise and be able in continuing your journey.

·
19,904 Posts
Welcome to TC :beers:

Wish you luck in your journey to get her on the road....and as above :thumbsup: correct year ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts