Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using stock Delco mech. fuel pump for modified 350 small block. Appear to be running out of fuel 3rd gear near 6000RPM. Have new 3/8" fuel line and large clean fuel filter. Anyone using Edelbrock pump 1721 or 1722 without crossmember interference? Don't want electric pump if possible. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Tom Sholl

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I had one on my engine with 0 interference issues. They say they make 6psi, but I recommend a regulator.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I never had any issues with the Edelbrock 1721, but I did need or should I say, felt peace of mind with a regulator.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Using stock Delco mech. fuel pump for modified 350 small block. Appear to be running out of fuel 3rd gear near 6000RPM. Have new 3/8" fuel line and large clean fuel filter. Anyone using Edelbrock pump 1721 or 1722 without crossmember interference? Don't want electric pump if possible. Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Tom Sholl
I am experiencing a similar issue - I think. I was wondering how you determined that it's a fuel pump issue instead of carb issue (float level/jetting/etc...)? I also have a stock Delco which I replaced about 1 year ago. I am thinking about installing a nice fuel pressure gage in the car so I can monitor. I guess fuel pressure dropping while in third gear w/high RPMs would lead me to believe there is fuel starvation due to pump.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cant go wrong knowing with a gauge. When i first started running my sig combo, I had a stock off the shelf auto zone fuel pump, because I was going for the sleeper appearance. At the time I was running Low 750's in the 1/8th. I didnt see a bit of change when I went to the higher flowing Carter style pump. Just a little food for thought.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Matt:
I'm using the Innovate LM-1 & G4 gauge wide band O2 sensor fuel/air monitor which indicated about 16% F/A in 3rd gear 5600RPM. Changed secondary jets from .101 to .104 with no chg to F/A. Edelbrock says their 650 AVS using .098 sec. jets should be ok with my engine configuration. Didn't monitor F/A in 1st or 2nd being a little busy going down the strip. I am using a 2004R auto trans fortunatley.
Tom Sholl

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I had the same issue on the '69 running out of fuel on a 1/8 run. Turned out to be the sock on the pickup in the tank was all screwed up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts