Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted the main caps question, but have another. Again, I'm having a sbc 383 built that will be running approx 550 hp. The car will be driven primarily on week ends and will see limited if any strip time. I'm kind of a horsepower junkie, so I was thinking of going with a Summit billet electric water pump to save horsepower. I've read you can save around 20 hp by using an electric water pump. The pump flows 37 gpm and has a 10,000 hour life expectancy and draws 6.1 amps. Do you guys in the know believe this would work fine and be reliable, or should I go with a mechanicle water pump? I have a 100 amp alternator in case that's info you would need, to give me a more accurate answer. Thanks again for the help.

Jay

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Unless you cut out the alternator during your 1/4 mile run, an electric water pump is not going to save HP. Energy can not be created or destroyed, so however much power it takes to move the water through your cooling system, the alternator will have to make that much, plus more (which will get turned into heat).

IMHO, electric water pumps are a waste of money that can be spent on other stuff that WILL make more HP. But there are some benefits. For one, they provide a constant flow unlike an engine driven pump that changes pumping speed with RPM. And you can free up the HP during a 1/4 mile run if you disengage the alternator and run off the battery. But practically speaking, the HP you'd save wouldn't amount to much, and if you're racing for fun, think about what a 1/10th of a second is worth to you.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If it's not a strip only car I say stay with the mech. pump. I can understand the quest for power, but in this case I think the reliability far out-ways the gain. You'd be far better off putting in an elec. fan and keeping the mech pump. You'll still same some power and keep the reliability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts