Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I feel electrical are easier to install if a clean look is desired. Mechanical I believe are more accurate, but the sending units are bulky and the tubing aren't as easily contoured for a clean look in the engine compartment. If you're racing I would go with mechanical.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Depends on what you consider eaiser, are you mechanical or electrical?

Mechanical is by theory more accurate.

As long as you have a good ground you shouldnt really have any problems with the electrical either....

I myself run mechanical, and believe me being an Instrumentation Engineer I have quite the collection in my 67 and use both. In some cases an electrical gauge suits the need......and in others, a mechanical. I use mechanical for more critical measurements. Out of 14+ gauges, 4 of them are electrical; Tach, speedo, volt and fuel level.

But I will have to say.....theres nothing eaiser than installing a sender and running a wire.....

[This message has been edited by chicane67 (edited 01-28-2003).]

·
Registered
395 Posts
From my understanding the electricl guages are just as accurate as the mechanical with todays technology. That wasnt alwasy the case, but I think alot has changed.

The real disadvantage of mechanical guages is the risk of something leaking... i.e having hot oil start to shoot into your interior etc..... Obvioulsy never run a mechanical fuel guage all the way into the interior etc. With a mechanical temp guage, the sender and tubing are all connected and you need to make a bigger hole in the firewall to run it through to the block etc. Just more combersome...

I like the electrical... much easier to install etc. and just as accurate now...

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have mechanical, if I did it over again I would use electric.

------------------
69 convertible,fully restored, well almost.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Batch for batch, electrical is just as accurate as a mechanical guage. The accuracy is primarily in the meter face markings...especially on the temp guage since it is non-linear. The transducers have very little hysterisis and the guages usually have a trim pot for fine tweaking. Electrical is by far the easiest and you won't have to worry about kinking your tubes or getting hot oil sprayed on you.

-dnult

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Beg to differ CFunk........click on new products top left, then under the 2002 catalog heading number "5".....there are only a FEW gauges available as of this post, but Autometer is working on a full line of 'Full Sweep' electrical gauges....stay tuned!!
http://www.autometer.com/hp/index.html

[This message has been edited by chicane67 (edited 01-29-2003).]

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
chicane67, I respect your post but beg all you want.

I spoke with them 6 months ago and the only full sweep, worthwhile gauges (oil, water temp, volt) they have listed in the catalog have been pulled. No ETA if/when they will ever be released.

I would love to have the main 3 full sweep electrical gauges in my car but haven't been able to find them in a year of searching.

Praying to GOD someone can prove me wrong.

------------------
-Funk
My '67 RS

[This message has been edited by CFunK (edited 01-29-2003).]

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Well a friend of mine (Gary Haseton) works for Autometer. Being that I am in the Instrumentation Engineering business, I just call myself lucky in that he leaks little things to me every now and then.......that is why I stated 'Stay Tuned'.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Sorry about the lag. I'm preparing two sand rails for a trip, one which required a new frame and axle tube, the other a new first gear and a trans rebuild, top end of the engine and the fabrication of new high geometry SLA front suspension.

I called and left a message and have not gotten back to him yet. I will try and make it the first point in the morning.

Damn, I am getting to the point of needing an assistant......LOL

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Well what I get from Gary is that they are in the works, but that Autometer doesnt know if the demand is really going to be all that big. Word is that I am gonna have get back to him in a couple of weeks to see where the direction is going.

I wish I had a more definate time on when.....but he doesnt, nor would I, want to give anyone an approximate time and than have it not come through......

I'll post when I know more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts