Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a '68 with power front disc brakes.

I had my Metering Valve (or Proportioning Valve depending on what you call it) rebuilt by Brakeboosters.com a couple of years ago. I'm just now getting ready to fill and bleed my restored brake system for the first time.

I know that when you are bleeding the brakes that the plunger on the back of the Metering Valve has to be pushed in in order for fluid to flow to the front brakes. I've read where you can have someone helping you push it in or put a clamp on it.

My question is.....just how much force does it take to push that plunger in??? I tried doing it by hand and it wouldn't move......I put the valve in a vice and gently turned it and the plunger still won't budge. I had wood between the valve and the vise jaws to protect the valve and it started crushing the wood instead of moving the plunger!...….That amount of pressure not moving the plunger hardly jives with someone being able to push it in by hand.

I'm not sure how to precede here. Do these things stick? I'm afraid of putting any more pressure on it for fear of breaking something.....Any thoughts are appreciated?

Thanks...….Dave

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,565 Posts
Dave, That is a metering valve. It is in the correct position now and won't
press in any further without creating damage. When pressure is applied it
simply holds off fluid pressure to the front discs until it sees 30-40 psi. You
won't know if you need to hold it in until you start the wheel bleeding process.
If you can't get fluid to the front brakes then you will need to hold it in.

·
10,157 Posts
The button is only needed for pressure bleeding. If you are manually bleeding the brakes, pressures over 30-40 psi will pass through to the calipers. If you are pressure bleeding and find the valve is not passing fluid, you can still manually pump the pedal to bleed and the pressure bleeder will replenish the master cyl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts