Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lincoln Electric SP-135 Mig welder. Do you know if Lincoln sells a stud welder attachment? Can I use my mig welder to tack studs onto body panels for pulling dents? I don’t have a slide hammer yet, but would like to buy one. I hate to buy a separate stud welder (especially if I don’t need one).

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a stud welder and i hate them. Their a pain to remove pin heads. I would look into spot puller that allows you to twist off welded rods after you pull dent up.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have a stud welder and i hate them. Their a pain to remove pin heads. I would look into spot puller that allows you to twist off welded rods after you pull dent up.
Wow, I'm surprised to hear that. Maybe the stud welder you have is a cheap one, and doesn't put out the correct amperage or something. I have used studs for years, and so have many of my industry-related buddies, and I've never heard anyone complain.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Your SP-135 will not shoot studs.
Most stud welding machines are specifically designed for that and nothing else.
There is no way to get that little welder to use a controlled/time current pulse for stud applications.
I know there are a few different MFG who make systems under $2,000 for the auto industry.

http://lincolnelectric.com

·
Registered
259 Posts
I take a pair of side cutters grab the head of the pin and twist it right off with ease. Am guessing you are really melting that pin into the metal. You should only tap the trigger, if you hold the trigger for even 1 second thats WAY TO LONG. Ive pulled creases out of frame rails with stud guns and never used more then a simple tap.

Unispotter makes several different models of stud guns. Model 4500 is around 145 bucks, its a really nice tool. The HF gun has a crappy slide hammer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts