Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car about 3 years ago, unfortunately it is not numbers matching but it does have a period correct MO code 302 engine. It has all the right items for a Z28, 5 leaf springs, 12 bolt rear, 4 speed munci, disk brakes, correct redline Tach, and an original appears to be anyway correct tire decal in the glove box.
When I bought the car it had a new passenger quarter which looked OK in the pictures, the roof had a tree fall on it which broke the spoiler and put a small dent in the roof.
For the first couple of years I didn't do much to it except pull off the quarter that had just been done, it wasn't done very well, then I discovered the outer wheelhouse that had been replaced, I pulled that off too.

Pictures will be posted next

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
I wanted to say that, but I'm not sure on 68's.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,481 Posts
Looks like a nice project. I suggest documenting (photographs) your findings on disassembly, especially anything Z related. As you're probably aware about the 68 Z's, without the original engine or paperwork, there's isn't really any iron clad proof of it's authenticity. The more evidence you find and document, the better. Although his services are somewhat expensive, a Jerry M inspection and certification would be highly beneficial for future re-sale, imo.

Have you checked the transmission and rear end codes ?
Any sign of white paint around the cowl area/ top of the firewall ?

Looking forward to following your progress....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Post picture of tire sticker in glove box and also tach and gages. As Garth wrote other info helps such as date code/info on trans and rear. I’d also reach out to crg core members or specifically Kurt to check if they have any info of your car in their database. What is the build date and vin # on the mo motor in your z? What distributor, carb, and alternator are on car as they may assist as u compare them to your trim tag build date vs. possible build date of your non original mo motor. Other words are they possibly original to your z or to the non original mo motor in your z. Love them 68 z’s.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice car either way!!! EEEk! is that a 66 Scaracuda in the background? Brings back old memories from long ago (early 80's) did 1 then, no parts to be found, traveled 12 hours to MD and back :surprise::surprise::surprise:1 day for used parts!!! Went to GM's after that, never looked back!!!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are a couple of pics of the transmission which matches the VIN, decal sticker and Tach

Attachments

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the drivers quarter panel, outer wheelhouse and trunk dropoff removed. There are some places on the inner wheelhouse that need repaired, I decided to order a new inner wheelhouse and use it for patch panels. I will need to start practicing my welding.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Looks in pretty good shape. To keep it that way, i would spray a wax in the rockers before burning in the quarter and wheel well. I used a Eastwood product . it was in a arosolspray with a two foot extetion straw that sprayed all the way around. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Looks like stamping underneath the assembly stamping (see a 5). Pic of tire sticker not clear. What is the rear stamping? Have u checked critical parts and date codes, i.e. distributor, carb, alternator to determine if available they seem logical to your trim tag date/vin or more in line with your non original mo engine.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks in pretty good shape. To keep it that way, i would spray a wax in the rockers before burning in the quarter and wheel well. I used a Eastwood product . it was in a arosolspray with a two foot extetion straw that sprayed all the way around. Just a thought.
That's a good idea, I just looked it up and it seems like the way to go

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like stamping underneath the assembly stamping (see a 5). Pic of tire sticker not clear. What is the rear stamping? Have u checked critical parts and date codes, i.e. distributor, carb, alternator to determine if available they seem logical to your trim tag date/vin or more in line with your non original mo engine.
I believe that is the stamping on the transmission. The alternator and carb have been replaced previously, but I will check the distributor

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,481 Posts
They have a tendency to set high in the rear anyway, and not being fully assembled with 5 leaf springs has a lot to do with it ! May not be a proper fix in some folks point of view, but removing the bottom leaf (5 leaf spring) will drop it down about an inch.

Only M21 or M22 was offered with Z/28. Not sure if there are any external features to distinguish what you have. I presume the engine and trans are presently installed ?

Again, nice project !

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took off the undercoating from the passenger wheelhouse, it is generally good shape. There are a couple little areas to weld at the end of the rocker. I do have a couple questions though, how do I get the rest of the undercoating residue off easily?
In one of the pictures there is a hole to the left of the drain hole, however it is not a rust hole, it's like someone punctured it somehow. I'm trying to think of the best way to repair it, i'm open to suggestions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
That hole is factory. It should have a rubber plug in it. Some times I use brake cleaner to soften the undercoating off. Sometimes a white wheel, and sometimes a torch and a scotchbrite. See the pick of the plug.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts