Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 98 Camaro SS with the LS1 engine. I just had to replace the alternator because the power steering reservoir overflowed and shorted it out. The fluid has a milky look to it. It had leaked down several weeks prior to this to the point that no fluid could be seen in the reservoir. I filled it to the cold line with the proper fluid. The steering has started groaning again, primarily when turning while sitting still, and is difficult to turn the wheel with the engine at idle.

Is this an air entrainment issue? Also, with 93K miles on the car, what is the most probable place to look for leaking in the PS system? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
welcome to team camaro!!..sounds like maybe you need to flush your ps fluid and start from scratch..is the fliud full of air bubbles or is it just milky?? milky usually means contaminates in it!!..as for leaks, check at the pump and check at the lines, at the fitting ends for starters..sounds like when it first overflowed, somebody added the wrong stuff in the res. and since that it has expanded and now has developed into a leak due to the pressure expansion properties not mixing at normal temps and pressures..step 1- change the fluid and bleed the air out.. step 2 -look for leaks(are you sure you are leaking?)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts