Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can some one please tell me the difference between Detroit speed inc Deep Tubs and there mini tub kit? Can I keep my same 12 bolt rear end with out modifications to it? What size wheels and tires can I run with these? I am a newbie so please take it easy on me. Im just trying to learn on here. Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Mini Tub or Deep Tubs?

Can some one please tell me the difference between Detroit speed inc Deep Tubs and there mini tub kit? Can I keep my same 12 bolt rear end with out modifications to it? What size wheels and tires can I run with these? I am a newbie so please take it easy on me. Just trying to learn somehting here.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,529 Posts
Re: Mini Tub or not to Mini Tub???

The wheel tubs are the same. To run larger tires you need to move the shocks and the leaf springs inboard. If you search here or on Pro-Touring.com or Lateral-G.net, I'm sure you'll find threads about mini-tubbing a first gen F-body.

·
14,452 Posts
You can run your stock 12 bolt with wider wheels.

If you have a 69 it will be hard to get the wheels on and off unless you narrow the rear end.

Also when you move the shocks a spring mounts inward the fuel tank may be too wide and will have to be modified or replaced with a narrow fuel tank.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I DSE mini-tubbed my '69 earlier this year and installed the Ridetech triangulated 4-Link with single adjustable coilovers. I have the stock width 12 Bolt rearend with standard location spring mounts and 18x12 wheels w/335 tires. The only reason to narrow the rear is to get that big deep wheel lip look. My wheels have a 4 inch lip, which looks fine to me. I have no difficulty removing rear tires, and the gas tank is stock. Exhaust pipes are routed around the 4-link and gas tank.

Gary

·
14,452 Posts
I DSE mini-tubbed my '69 earlier this year and installed the Ridetech triangulated 4-Link with single adjustable coilovers. I have the stock width 12 Bolt rearend with standard location spring mounts and 18x12 wheels w/335 tires. The only reason to narrow the rear is to get that big deep wheel lip look. My wheels have a 4 inch lip, which looks fine to me. I have no difficulty removing rear tires, and the gas tank is stock. Exhaust pipes are routed around the 4-link and gas tank.

Gary
With 4 link and coil overs the stock tank works. If you move the leafs inboard probably not.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Great info! LOve that car garymac69...great setup!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks Great info! LOve that car garymac69...great setup!!
Thanks... the handling and ride quality was greatly improved.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A 29.5" tire will easily fit in the standard DSE mini tubs. I have DSE mini tubs, relocated shocks and springs, shorter axles and tubes, wider wheels/tires, and a narrowed OEM style tank. I opted for this to keep visibility of it all as subtle as possible.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Gary
Do you have any pics of your car from the rear so I could get a better idea???

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you have any pics of your car from the rear so I could get a better idea???
I'm not sure what info you need. Here is one pic from the rear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A 29.5" tire will easily fit in the standard DSE mini tubs. I have DSE mini tubs, relocated shocks and springs, shorter axles and tubes, wider wheels/tires, and a narrowed OEM style tank. I opted for this to keep visibility of it all as subtle as possible.
What width tire are you running and what type of spring are you running in the rear? I mini tubbed my car and I'm trying to fit 20's on the back, the widest I could go was a 305/30/20. With a 18 I could probably fit a 335.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
What width tire are you running and what type of spring are you running in the rear? I mini tubbed my car and I'm trying to fit 20's on the back, the widest I could go was a 305/30/20. With a 18 I could probably fit a 335.
That doesn't make any sense, assuming that both tires are the same height.

A 305/30/20 is 27.2" tall, the equivalent 18" would be a 335/35/18, which is also 27.2" tall. If the tires are the same height, you won't be able to go any wider just because the rim is 18" vs 20".

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Here is a 69 camaro I built. It has the DSE mini tubs and quadralink rear suspension. Also has the narrowed tank. It has 12" x 18" rims with 335/30/18. The rear end is narrowed about 2" on each side.

We went with the narrowed tank because at first we bought the relocated leaf spring kit first then he decided the quadralink was what he wanted. The narrowed tank did help the 3" exhaust go out the back of the car.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Tires are 29x11 (section width = 12.8"; tread width = 10.9"). I'm running Caltrac split monos (stock replacements) and they are moved inward slightly. Also have a narrowed OEM style fuel tank. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 315's on mine with no problems. It has the DSE deep tubs with ridetech's coilover g bar

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
When our rear Torque Arm kit is installed on a car with a OE dimension 10/12 bolt the leaf spring perches & stock wheel wells only allow a 315 tire on a 10"-11" wheel.

This is due to the factory leaf spring perch locations on the rearend. We have located the control arm mounts further inward on the 9" rear we offer which allow use of deeper offset wheels.

The 9” setup will allow up to a 345 tire on a rim up to 13" wide with widened inner wheel tubs to accommodate them.

We can build the 9" ranging from OE wheel offset up to 5" narrowed (2.5" per side). Most Pro-Touring style builds will spec out the rear as narrow as possible then measure for wheel offsets once the suspension and rear is mocked up in the car then order wheels. Some builders order the wheels first, mock them up in the car then tell us what width you need the rear to be.

Another option for some guys is to remove the OE leaf spring perches and weld our mounts to their housing inward to allow the larger wheel/tire combos.

BTW... You can see the guys at Two Guys Garage install our Torque Arm kit March 2 on SPEED channel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That doesn't make any sense, assuming that both tires are the same height.

A 305/30/20 is 27.2" tall, the equivalent 18" would be a 335/35/18, which is also 27.2" tall. If the tires are the same height, you won't be able to go any wider just because the rim is 18" vs 20".

That is exactly my point, I couldn't go with a wider tire on the 20's without increasing the wheel diamter (while still keeping a 30 series tire). The 335/30/20 would be 27.9" diamter. I didn't want to go down to 25 series because I didn't want there to be more sidewall on the front rims than on the back rims. A 28" diameter tire on a camaro with a 3" drop doesn't fit too well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts