Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if anyone has ever hand fabricated thier own mini-tub setup for a 1st gen? The kits I have seen from detroit speed just seem extemely over-priced in my opinion. Im not going for a show car look to my car so i dont care what it looks like in the trunk, just as long as i can stick some fatties back there. I do have some fabrication experience so I thought of just trying to accomplish this myself.

But if anyone has information it would help a tons. thanks!:beers:

·
Registered
953 Posts
A friend of mine and I did a set in a 57 Chevy I had. I know there's alot more room in one of those. But, basically we split the stock wheelhouse in the center and around the inner portion and removed it. Then we measured the radius and cut a 3 1/2 inch wide piece of sheet metal (1/4 in over lap for each side) to the same length. Tack that to edge of the inner piece of the stock wheelhouse and then placed the piece we or the outer wheel we had cut off next to it and traced it on the trunk floor. We cut that piece out and then tacked the original piece in place. After a few finish welds and some grinding, I seam sealed it and with some trunk splater paint you could hardly even notice it. Under the car more seam sealer and some undercoat. It came out nice. Probably wouldn't be too much different for the Camaro. Just a little more cramped.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A friend of mine and I did a set in a 57 Chevy I had. I know there's alot more room in one of those. But, basically we split the stock wheelhouse in the center and around the inner portion and removed it. Then we measured the radius and cut a 3 1/2 inch wide piece of sheet metal (1/4 in over lap for each side) to the same length. Tack that to edge of the inner piece of the stock wheelhouse and then placed the piece we or the outer wheel we had cut off next to it and traced it on the trunk floor. We cut that piece out and then tacked the original piece in place. After a few finish welds and some grinding, I seam sealed it and with some trunk splater paint you could hardly even notice it. Under the car more seam sealer and some undercoat. It came out nice. Probably wouldn't be too much different for the Camaro. Just a little more cramped.

thanks alot man, that does help alot. honestly it doesnt look like THAT big of a deal, but you never know til you dive into it. You dont have any pictures of the work in progress on that Bel Air do you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts