Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I own a 75 2BBL 350. As of late, whenever I have tried any sudden acceleration from stop (not even talking burnout) and even sometimes in a damp morning before its warmed up, I'll get some annoying and painful misfires. Lately, it's gotten dramatically worse. Any kind of normal acceleration seems to cause repeated misfires, forcing me to drive worse than the oldest grandma on the road. Chilton's made me think it might be an ignition system problem but I'm not sure. I timed it not too long ago and installed new plugs, so unless I didn't tighten the distributor enough this is outside my range of knowledge. Also this is an HEI system if that helps.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. HALP!

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Sounds like your spark plug wires might be bad or the dis. Cap is bad or cracked?? Lean toward the wires..at night start your car and get a spray bottle full of water and squirt the water on your wires and look to see if you can see them arch(LOOKS LIKE A LIGHTING STORM UNDER YOUR HOOD) or the car will miss while its running..

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
This reminds me of a story. Back in 1969 I installed a mail order dyno tune kit made by Garretty. Part of was Packard 440 wire. Now for you youngsters, it was unshielded, solid core. With the engine running in the dark, each wire had a series of slow moving neon blue inchworms. I guessed that they were each pulses of spark. The movement was the same as a stagecoach wheel in a western. The spokes move depending on the interface with the movie camera. Or like looking at your spinning fan under florescent lights. Kinda cool when you're a kid.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
I must be too old ,i read your post over and over agiain and i get dizzier every time i reread it..all we had growing up in 69 was toys in the cereal box's..(slow moving blue neon inchworms,stagecoach wheel in a western,and under the florescent lights)..dont let badbird read this post he will know exactly what your talking about!!..lol

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Thanks Bill,,, I think.;)
Hey! It was '69! Same year as Woodstock. Want anymore explanation?:D

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
If it only occurs until the car is "warmed up", moisture in the distributor? If the wires were bad, wouldn't it continue to run poorly no matter if the engine is hot or cold?

alan

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
if it only occurs until the car is "warmed up", moisture in the distributor? If the wires were bad, wouldn't it continue to run poorly no matter if the engine is hot or cold?

Alan
its not set in stone, that it will do it just when wet or cold or warm.. Its just a guideline something to check 1st..you have to figure out or elimnate ignition from fuel(carb.) problems!!..check your wires and your cap and if that is good go to something else like an accelerator pump in your carb or float or something along those lines!!!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Ignition problems reveal themselves when the engine is under load. It'll idle fine - usually. When you crack the throttle, cylinder pressures increase and it takes more energy to jump the plug gap. As you can imagine, if your plug wire has a pin-hole in it or has been partially burned through, it'll take the path of least resistance.

Checking for sparklies in the dark is a good way of finding bad wires. It's even better if you power brake the motor to put it under load. Just be safe, use the e-brake and common sense.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Pull your cap off. Check between the rotor and points for greenish color. This happens when moisture is trapped in the cap and due to high voltage it transformers into ozone gasses and fouls the tips of the rotor and points. Needs to be replaced.

Bad wires in damp weather will cause all sorts of issues. Thats the second thing to check. Haha believe it or not I had a car one time eat the end on the spark plug wire so it no longer snapped onto the plug. I had no idea but it was missfiring horribly under load and idled and normal drove fine. I pulled valve covers, coils, and i was going to look at plugs. When i noticed there was no metal connector in the boot....

And Fred although thats before my time but I understand what you are saying haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts