Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently purchased a 2001 Z28 Camaro in September, and so far, I am pleased with the overall quality of the car. The whole purchase experience went well, for the most part, and I was satisfied with some of the optional features that had already come with the car (i.e. limited-slip acceleration, performance axle, etc.). However, I noticed a possible defect concerning my car, when I decided to spot clean the engine compartment a few weeks ago. To my amazement, the bottom of the engine hood did not have a black, heat insulation panel. These types of panels, as far as I am concerned, are found on most domestic cars whose model and make vary considerably. For example, my 2000 C5 Vette has one of these insulation panels that excellently controls the heat transmission to the hood from the engine. Many owners are aware of the extreme heat temperatures which originate from the engine, and therefore, owners understand the purpose of the heat shield. My problem was soon taken to the service center of the dealership where I purchased my car. As a result, the answer which the service representative provided me regarding this matter was that all 2001 Camaros do not have these heat panels. Although I could not argue this matter further, since I did not have any knowledge about previous conditions of early model Camaros, I was hesitant to take the representative's information. My question to you is, "Is the representative telling the truth?" If this is indeed the truth, then Chevrolet should have made some changes in this area of the design phase. In other words, will the effect of the missing panel cause premature paint peel from the hood?
Aside from this problem, I also wanted to ask some of you about some good aftermarket companies that sell products for Camaros. I was particularly interested in some performance modifications for the engine and perhaps the exhaust system.

Thank you,
big_puma

------------------
2001 Z28 Bright Rally Red T-Top with all the goodies

·
Registered
4 Posts
That particular panel shouldnt cause any problems in performance but the parts that funtion around it might mind if they get to a dangerous temperature. So to be safe you might want to just buy a new one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts