Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the kick down since I have the new 383 engine:
I am a bit affraid that if the kick down decides to go in first gear in a curve, I would loose the control of the car because of the torque coming suddenly.

On the other hand, with the kick down linkage removed, I have to change gear manually and always keep an eye on the tach instead of the road to know when to upshift.

Is there a way to modify the kick down to change the RPM at which it passes from first to second at WOT and to disable it when you don't want it to downshift?

It would be perfect to find a way to do that.
Thanks for your help.

Guillaume

·
Super Moderator
32,758 Posts
Simple adjustment:
1. Engine off, remove air cleaner assembly.
2. Disconnect the bottom linkage from the stud on the carb by pulling the kickdown linkage forwardand sliding off the stud.
3. Have assistant hold throttle to WOT and stay there for the rest of the adjustment.
4. On the kickdown linkage, pull forward, resistance will be very light until the last 13-14 mm.
5. Pulling linkage forward the last few mm, resistance will be felt, then the limit will be felt.
6. While holding linkage forward at max stroke, adjust the linkage for the inside of the slot to be even with the forward most edge of the stud. Lenghten or shorten as needed by unscrewing or screwing the linkage.
7. When linkage is adjusted by eye, close throttle, pull the kickdown linkage forward and slip back onto its stud.
8. Open throttle to WOT and check linkage is at its fullest and no binding of any linkage.
9. Close throttle, replace air cleaner assembly, and test drive.

Transmission should downshift and stay in 1st gear until 5200-5500 rpm, then upshift, whether from a stop or moving forward.
To lessen shift rpm, lengthen adjustment by one at a time until personal desired rpm is acquired.

Shifting manually does not hurt transmission. However, if manually shift early, say at 4500 rpm and trans does not upshift, it won't until governor kicks in, remember adjustment you just made?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the ajusting method Everett.

Is there any way when driving to disable the kick down, to avoid the transmission to downshift when you don't expect it, in a curve for example?

And is it possible to change the upshift RPM to 5500-5700?

Thanks for you help.

Guillaume

·
Super Moderator
32,758 Posts
Thanks for the ajusting method Everett.
You're welcome.

Is there any way when driving to disable the kick down, to avoid the transmission to downshift when you don't expect it, in a curve for example?
No, don't step on the pedal so hard.

And is it possible to change the upshift RPM to 5500-5700?
You can by reducing the governor weights. They can be gotten by removing the driveshaft, crossmember, tailshaft housing, and E-clip from the weight shaft and remove the weights. Or, to continue, remove the speedo driving gear, loosen the setscrew on the governor support clamping it to the output shaft, and remove the governor assembly. Support the trans by a block of wood the width of the pan and a jack.
Or change the upshift manually.

Thanks for you help.

Guillaume
No problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts