Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all...

I'm just about a week away from FINALLY digging into my '87 305/4bbl/auto. (I've had the car for a little more than a year, but needed to sink a lot into it just to get it to pass inspection -- wiring, brakes, shocks, struts, etc.)

I figured the intake would be a good a place as any to start. (Whether it is or not is immaterial at this point as I've already purchased an Edelbrock [#1400] and am ordering the manifold in a day or two.)

Anyway...

Apart from the carb and manifold, can I garner some recommendations as to where to go next? I would love to go with a new cam, but can't afford all the additional parts (lifters, valves, et al.) for a rebuild at the moment. How about some new headers? Maybe a new CAT?

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Andy

BTW, by the time I'm done with everything -- it'll take years, I'd venture -- I doubt there'll be a stock item left on the thing (except maybe the block itself...we'll see), so don't be afraid to use you imagination!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Actually, a cam swap isn't that expensive...especially with a mild street cam. In most cases it costs less than replacing a carb...if you dont get one so big that you need bigger springs or other additional changes. IMO, a cam swap is the biggest bang for the buck, after the exhaust system of course. It is also about the biggest PITA on a later model like yours. Who told you that you need new valves with a cam swap??? You don't, so don't worry about that. I do know that the 3rd gens like yours are very responsive to changes in the exhaust system. A set of smog legal headers with matching y-pipe, hi-flow cat, and aftermarket cat back exhaust system will really help. There is also big gains to be had by changing the rear gears...something along the lines of a 3.73 will give you a big kick in the pants if you have a 2.73 or 3.08 in there now. Of course, there is always smaller items like a K&N filter, underdrive pulleys, hi-po chip, cooler thermostat, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Travis.

Actually, my bro-in-law said that if I'm going to replace the cam then I should wait until I can do a total rebuild. [He's a great guy; buy ask him a question and he can be a bit long-winded -- not to mention expensive.
]

I'm looking into headers now. Afterwards, I plan on going to the CAT/CAT back.

Thanks again for the input.

Regards,

ANdy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.