Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting my 67 ready for racing season and fired the engine the other day to make sure all was well (MI, 40+ degrees out). I pulled the valve covers after it cooled a bit, to check the lash, when I noticed a lot of moisture in the covers. Also, there was the usual gunky, white stuff associated with water and oil mixing. Thinking I might have a coolant leak, I borrowed a pressure tester and pumped it up to 15 psi. It held there for 15-20min and only dropped a pound (1/2lb after approx 10 min.) I decided to add Moroso ceramic engine sealer to the coolant, just in case, ran it the required 15-20 min. hot. While I was doing this, I watched my oil pressure drop from 45-50psi to 20 psi. and still had moisture in the covers!
Some racer friends insist that it's normal for this to happen in colder weather. I thought that it was a lot of moisture for it to be condensation but the (pressure) gauge doesn't lie. Am I just worrying too much? The drop in oil pressure might have been from running 5w30 oil in the winter and the engine got warm from idling so much. Has anyone had a similar experience? :confused: Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
Yes, this is normal for condensation to appear and not be burned off. You would have to drive the car for 10-15 miles to heat up the oil hot enough to evaporate the moisture contained. This event will also happen if there is not enough vacuum on the crankcase to suck out the evaporation.

With 5W-30 oil, I would say 20 PSIG is normal when the oil is warm, not hot. Use a temp gun to find out the oil temp from, or on, the oil pan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I have an oil temp gauge and it was registering 190 degrees, pretty warm for the hot rod. I'm switching it back to 20w-50 and I'll check again. I don't have a pcv but maybe I should install one for winter warm-ups.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I know it's hard, but best is to just don't run it in the winter. I left mine cold and dead since november, just disconnected the battery cable. Hooked up the juice last weekedn and she cranked right up just like always.

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Jim, do you loosen your rockers while it sits for 5 months? I am nervous leaving mine tight for 3 months while the body and paint is done.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
ALL I did was take off the neg battery cable. She was up on stands all winter with the suspension torn off, but I did nothing to the motor. My cam is only .5" lift, I doubt the springs minded.

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
ALL I did was take off the neg battery cable. She was up on stands all winter with the suspension torn off, but I did nothing to the motor. My cam is only .5" lift, I doubt the springs minded.
Hydra lifters prolly bled down anyway and your springs did not really see most of lift , depend on where cam stopped. Solids is another issue.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you let the engine heat up to normal running temps for a good long time, the condensation will burn off. This is a common problem in the winter with performance engines. :D

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
actually, it's a common problem in every engine. it's one of the reasons you aren't supposed to take a lot of short trips- especially in the winter months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts