Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that Rick's new catalog lists a Molded fiberglas insulation pad, rather than the blanket type insulation.
Were the originals molded, or flat? They're quite a bit more expensive than the older style, but probably worth it if it would be correct.
Thanks,

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have purchased them directly from manufacturer REM. They are very close to the original. A couple of years ago I was looking for an NOS one for my 67 L78 and was quoted a price 1200. The are real nice, certainly worh the $65.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The matt type of material compressed in different areas around the air cleaner lid and by the battery. This allow for clearance requirements of those components. This how the way the originals were fabricated.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
DjD - you can look under the hood of a new car. The mat seems to be made of a similar material, but is a little stiffer to conform to the irregularities on the underside of the hood.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
No, they weren't. Originals were die-cut flat blankets, not molded. The new molded replacements are "car-show pretty", but aren't correct. The ones on most new cars are molded, as there's almost no clearance under the hood to anything, and they need all the packaging space they can get.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so Shaugs says the originals were molded, and John Z says they were die cut fiberglas insulation. Which is correct?

The molded ones basically are the same material as the die cut, except they have a heat set binder in them, so when they are hot pressed, the binder kicks in, and the materila holds it's shape.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Ahhh, but everyone knows that Engineers get
Senile from being away from Production lines. Unreal..Shaugs does not say that they were Molded, he says the were compressed. Ricks says they are Molded. I think we are all thinking the same thing, not quite sure what that is though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a survivor car, with the original insulation. I described what the original and the new reproductions looked like. John is more the authority on the details. My point is that in my oppinion they are dam close... and for the price they are perfect.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I guess a good answer to the insulation question would be " Did heat press or whatever is being done to the current pads even exist in the 60's"

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

·
Retired
26,654 Posts
So an origional should have a round indent to allow more clearence for the air cleaner? Why an indent for the Batt? I paid less than $25 for my repop blanket and clips.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was on sYc this morning, and there was a discussion of the same topic. General consensus is that the "original" insulation for 69 was molded, not flat insulation.

DjD, I also have the repop blanket, still in the shrink wrap. Thought I'd exchange it, if the molded piece is correct.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts