Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as asked above are these safe routes of payment? I've heard both of them are not a good idea but maybe I was misinformed? Thanks for answering a dumb quesion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Only in person if picking up the purchased item... otherwise, Paypal-credit card is how I make a purchase.

If selling: then, I would wait till check/m.o. clears before shipping.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I think it really depends on the amount. If your going with a money order, I would request one from the post office. They can be cashed almost anywhere. For large purchases, I would request a cashiers check.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have them wire you the money. Not hard to do, ask your bank for your "wiring instructions". Wires are good money only, you don't have to worry about checks clearing or fakes.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
If your selling, wait till they clear. If you are buying, forget it. I personally wouldnt do either. Its a bank wire xnfsr or paypal or nothing at all for me.

·
Registered
551 Posts
wire transfer is how i sold my last 2 - however I have no problem accepting a MO from 7/11 as is it backed by Western Union and they have an 800 number to verify authenticity.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just received a request for parts I have for sale on Craigs list today;

hello,
Thanks for your concerned,am okay with you responce and the pics which i will forward to the shipping company that will pick it from your door to my own here. so i will need all this necessary information below to prepare the payment(certified check or money order) to you because am in Nevada. i will like to inform you that i will be sending your money to you including the shipping fund which you will deduct your own amount and send the remaining balance to my shipper via western union. and i will be sending you an over payment and am very sure you will get the payment this week just take to your bank to clear and then my shipping company will come for the shipping i hope am right. so get back to me with all this information ,1...Your name and address to be on the check: 2....Your full contact address to send the check to 3...Your zip code 4....Your mobile and land line number to reach you.I will be expecting your mail. regards john charlse

What do you think? Valid or bogus?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Just received a request for parts I have for sale on Craigs list today;

hello,
Thanks for your concerned,am okay with you responce and the pics which i will forward to the shipping company that will pick it from your door to my own here. so i will need all this necessary information below to prepare the payment(certified check or money order) to you because am in Nevada. i will like to inform you that i will be sending your money to you including the shipping fund which you will deduct your own amount and send the remaining balance to my shipper via western union. and i will be sending you an over payment and am very sure you will get the payment this week just take to your bank to clear and then my shipping company will come for the shipping i hope am right. so get back to me with all this information ,1...Your name and address to be on the check: 2....Your full contact address to send the check to 3...Your zip code 4....Your mobile and land line number to reach you.I will be expecting your mail. regards john charlse

What do you think? Valid or bogus?

Is this a trick question?

Scam!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not a trick question: This is the reason why I won't accept anything but cash (which I check!), Western Union or a credit card if done here locally.

Too many horror stories about stolen cashiers check and money orders! Incidentally, one of the sales people here wanted to follow through on this sale, which I'm pretty sure is a scam.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Not a trick question: This is the reason why I won't accept anything but cash (which I check!), Western Union or a credit card if done here locally.

Too many horror stories about stolen cashiers check and money orders! Incidentally, one of the sales people here wanted to follow through on this sale, which I'm pretty sure is a scam.
No, you're not PRETTY sure it's a scam YOU KNOW it's a scam. The wording and methodology of payment are PROVEN to be a gauranteed SCAM. This has been around and publisized for so long now, I can't believe anybody would even think it MAY be legit. Has this other sales person been living under a rock for a year ?? :confused: Have him do a Google search for "Nigerian scam" and he can read all day...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mitch: thanks for the response!! This is exactly what I wanted to show our novice salesman, who incidentally did just come to this country! Sometimes the desire to sell something over rides common sense!

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Mitch: thanks for the response!! This is exactly what I wanted to show our novice salesman, who incidentally did just come to this country! Sometimes the desire to sell something over rides common sense!
:thumbsup: I guess if he's a "newbie" here, we have to cut him a little slack.....so long as he doesn't hang himself...:D

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Anything over $1000.00, I just put cash in an envelope and write on the outside of it " Post Office, please don't lose this as it contains large amounts of cash."

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the replies. I was just looking at an engine. The guy says that his mother screwed up his paypal Haha. I asked him if COD is ok and he said it was too big of a risk for him and said that money orders or checks are all that he would take. BIG TIME flags are up now! I think I'll take my business elsewhere. Just needed someone else to tell me it was a stupid idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts