Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I got my new set of rims and tires to hang up my original steel wheels and covers. The more I look at my camaro the more I know that this is now going to be trouble with 245s in the rear... The back of my car sits too low and I know I am going to run into problems come summer as the springs seem to sag quite a bit in the back.

What is the best approach for fixing the rear mono leaf sag?

I am at the point with my camaro where I take it out on the weekends but I don't want to invest big $$$ until I am ready for a full resto. I just bought new rims and tires and the budget won't allow for much more given the current state of things. I had a credit with one of the camaro parts houses and I had them send me a set of shocks and the bolt kits because mine are worn out. I got the cheap munroe shocks because I eventually want to replace with original style repops but, again, not until I take everything appart. I read over many of the other posts and now I am even more confused than I was before... Should I have my springs rearched or do I need to buy new mono leafs? If I buy new monoleafs will the difference in shape of the repops make any difference? Will replacing the shocks help OR did I make a mistake with munroes? Help.

As you can see, I am new to suspension upgrades and I want to remain as stock as possible... Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a local shop that will remove, rearch (the right way: reset with heat etc.), powdercoat and reinstall my mono springs. Problem is that the guy figures that the mono's will flatten out right away and that I will be wasting my money. He figures that we can replace with a 5 leaf and leave out the top pad so that I don't have to change my original perches. Anyone done this? What do I do?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
If you are happy with the stance, you can trim a small amount from the rear fender lips with a reciprocating body saw... I have 275s on the rear of mine (with optimal backspacing), and only had to trim a very small amount (maybe 1/4") to assure no interference.

If you replace the springs, I can almost assure you that it will be a crapshoot as to where you wind up stance-wise, and you might wind up messing with that issue way more than a simple trim of rear lip.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Well that's just the thing. I've seen a gazillion posts here where folks replace the leafs and it either looks like a 4x4 or a slammed Honda. I replaced my monos with Hotchkis lowering springs and it sat HIGHER, so I had to fab some blocks to lower it to where I wanted it. I guess I'm saying - don't expect perfection out of the box. Everyone has their own idea of the perfect stance, and to say that there is one particular spring that will get you to your ideal is unrealistic, although some have gotten lucky!!! Good luck - just be prepared to fuss with it a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Problem is that it looks like a slammed honda now... can't get much worse! :)
If I do a spring swap I just want to make sure I can use the rest of the original mono leaf parts OR do I just rearch them?

·
Retired
26,590 Posts
Vince - your car is too sweet and too original to really start farting around with it. If the re-arched springs won't hold up get new replacement mono leafs from a reputable source. The original springs have made it 42 years a good new spring should last a long time. Looking at the pic of your car in your profile, I don't think you want more than stock height in the rear end. If you were careful with your wheel choice and proper backspacing a 245 should fit no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. That is exactly it! I don't want to mess around with it too much. I even debated getting the new wheels/tires but they are obviously easy to switch back. The wheels will fit inside the wells just fine. It is just that with a 245/60 the overall diameter of the tire increases over the stock diameter making the back end appear to sag even further. Where do you recommend purchasing a replacement monoleaf? I have read over many of these posts and they have different widths on many of the replacements. Is this a problem and what type of install kit would I need?

·
11,267 Posts
Just to add my experiences... I replaced my mono with Eaton monos and ordered stock height. When mounted the rear end is 1 inch too low IMO. I guess stock height was low to begin with. :) I really cant handle the back end down look. I bought some front 6320s to bring the front down and the plan is to re-arch some original monos at 1 to 1 1/2" inches over stock and see how they look. The Spring place said be prepared for the monos to break, which happens 50% of the time on old springs. So I obtained 3 sets, hopefully I will get one good set. :D If all else fails, I will get the newer ones re-arched or order new ones and 1" over stock. Luck!

·
11,267 Posts
Thanks. That is exactly it! I don't want to mess around with it too much. I even debated getting the new wheels/tires but they are obviously easy to switch back. The wheels will fit inside the wells just fine. It is just that with a 245/60 the overall diameter of the tire increases over the stock diameter making the back end appear to sag even further. Where do you recommend purchasing a replacement monoleaf? I have read over many of these posts and they have different widths on many of the replacements. Is this a problem and what type of install kit would I need?
Vince, the width of the new monos is about 1/4 to 1/2 wider in the middle than originals. Its not really a problem, but the rubber mount sides get a little more squeezed. Go with Eaton's.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kevin, thanks for adding to this thread. Could you do me a favour and tell me your measurement from the center of the wheel to the lip of the fender? I just want to make sure that your version of "low" is equal to mine. I will take my exact measurement tonight and add it to the thread as well. From what I remember I think I am sitting about 27" from the ground to the lip with the old tires so from the wheel center to the lip should be just under 14" but I will have to check.
Check out these old pictures... they look lower than mine! ha ha...

·
11,267 Posts
Vince, Comparisions wont work between 69 and 67 due to the different lip contours. On a 69, the top of the rear tire should be 1/2 inches from the bottom of the metal lip (showing). On a 67, I would think a equal distance arc from front to top would be the ticket. So if you measured from the tire to the rocker you come up with 1.5 inches (guess), then the top of the tire to metal lip would be around 1.5 inches. This makes the tire appear centered in the hole.

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that was when I brought it home... I still have those wheels/tires on it as I just got my new ones yesterday. Plus the new rear tires are about 1/2 and inch taller making a 1/2 inch on top if I am lucky and just over that in the front. I'll try and get them on tonight with pictures but my wife wants me to finish painting and plumbing in the bathroom downstairs so it might not be until Wednesday... :sad: or else I'll just pull and all-nighter once she goes to bed! :D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I put some air shocks on mine until I figure out what to do about the rear leafs. It's definitely the cheapest fix and didn't affect ride quality much. Also let's you fine-tune the desired stance.

A lot of people replace the single leafs with the 3-leaf springs from JC Whitney. There are a lot of threads here on that subject. I might go that route at some point.

·
11,267 Posts
Vince, doesn't matter much :) If you think its too low, then it is. :) shop around for the install kit. I think Eaton gives all new parts , when you might only need the rubber parts and reuse the nuts, bolts and hard parts. Start soaking the J-nuts now, before they break on you. They will propably break on you anyway unless the front spring bracket has been removed recently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts