Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with these weights GM put on the mono leafs? I can't imagine they were concerned with wheel hop in a 307 nova. Wondering what the reason for them was. Have never seen them on a camaro.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
It's actually called a "Dampener Unit" (see number 5 below, P/N 3981802), so I don't believe it was to cure wheel hop, but for some kind of harmonic vibration supression. Only used from 1969 through 1971 on the Nova, so apparently it was useless! I pulled a set of Lakewood "Traction Action" traction bars off a 70 Nova once, and the springs had those on them. At the time I was really confused as to:

a. If they were original
b. What they were used for
c. If they were used on any other car

And again, looks like it was a Nova thing only.

Ed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed, yeah, looks useless. Interesting. Looks like i've got a set of original GM paper weights. And these did come off a 70 nova. LOL :)

·
Retired
26,776 Posts
I had a Nissan 4x4 years ago and it's leaf springs were weighted like that. I carried a small 6pack cab over on it from time to time and in order to put a helper spring on I had to cut off the weights. I never could find anyone that could tell me what they were for or what would happen if I removed them. No ill effects that I recall...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts