Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son scrapped his budget 350 with the tunnel ram idea for now and is putting a big block with just over 400hp at the flywheel in his 67. Has the original mono springs in now with the small block and does have some slight rubbing issues in the rear(215 60r 15). This is gonna be a street car with an occasional visit to the track. The budget idea went out the window with the motor and he still needs a tranny and a rear along with any other parts. Tranny would be a 350(needs a rebuild)because we have one and with the prices of the 12 bolts we were thinking about a 8.5 10 bolt. Question is would the multi leaf be necessary with the big block or will a new set of mono leaf work? Also would it be recommended to go with a turbo 400 or would the 350 surfise? Thanks, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,589 Posts
I think it depends on what you want to do. I ran mulitleaf, factory mono and now Calvert split mono on my car. All 3 worked. The multileaf with 5 springs that was in my car when I bought it was way too stiff and the car sat too high. I pulled 2 out of it and the ride was much better. With all these springs and Caltracs my car ran 10.40's to 10.10's with a 355 on a 150-175 shot.. It ran quickest with split mono's and ran 1.38 sixty foot times. It ran inconsistent low 1.50's with the multi's and factory mono. And a properly built TH350 will be plenty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As you may know, Chevrolet changed the rear suspension in Camaros from 1967 to 1968 due to wheel hop issues with 1967 model Camaros with the higher horsepower V8s. I've seen pictures of the after effects, and they are ugly. Also, be careful in regard to the leaf spring perches depending on what you choose to do: 67 camaro leaf spring

I was glad that our '67 was restored with a multileaf rear, but that in combination with gas shocks makes the ride really stiff (my opinion), and you get loud noises in the interior when going over potholes, etc. FYI only.

Good luck and I hope the above is helpful.

·
Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
159 Posts
My '68 is a BB and came with multi-leaf springs. My son's '69 had stock mono-leaf springs. When he lowered it with Detroit Speed components he switched to multi-leaf springs. He said it handles great and drives like a newer car. Well... up until the SBC crapped. Currently he's doing and LS swap.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
As you may know, Chevrolet changed the rear suspension in Camaros from 1967 to 1968 due to wheel hop issues with 1967 model Camaros with the higher horsepower V8s. I've seen pictures of the after effects, and they are ugly. Also, be careful in regard to the leaf spring perches depending on what you choose to do: 67 camaro leaf spring

I was glad that our '67 was restored with a multileaf rear, but that in combination with gas shocks makes the ride really stiff (my opinion), and you get loud noises in the interior when going over potholes, etc. FYI only.

Good luck and I hope the above is helpful.
Just so YOU know....

The change from 67 to subsequent years was staggered shocks...67's have no staggard shocks. The wheel hop issue was due to shock location...not mono vs multi

Mid year the band aid for 67 was the "radius rod"

·
Registered
67 Camaro SS/RS L78 M20 Convertible
299 Posts
in my opinion:

get traction bars (not slappers = worst design), but caltracs (best design - cantilever) or traction-masters (good design - underrider style).

Even with my 400 hp 396 i got heavy wheelhop.
I got a 67 with 5 leaf conversion with 27" BFG tires on the street.

I then switched to a 670 hp 496 and did the following:
I added a spacer (bigger rubber hump) to the stock traction bar so it starts working directly at first degree of twisting (eliminating the previous 3-4° twist, before it actually started working)
additionally installed traction masters...

now its smooth as butter with even traction loss or not, depending on throttle input. Finally i have the feeling i am not destroying the car but the tires...

·
Registered
1967 Camaro Convertible SS396 "clone", 1967 RS coupe 327-SOLD
49 Posts
Since you mentioned changing to a 8.5 rear end as well, a 72-74 Nova rear end has the 8.5" differential as well as muliti leaf mounts with no mods required. I put one under my 67 with a 327/TH350 and it was great! Since it was an 8.5 diff, I found a later model Z/28 with a posi and used that when I had the rear end rebuilt. I saved the web address if you want to check out NovaResource - Nova Rear Axle Codes
I would agree with others here that Caltracs appear to have the best system for combating wheel hop. I used "slapper bars" on my big block 67. They sucked so bad ended up removing them to go back to "stock" leaf spring plates.

·
Registered
69 Camaro SS convertible
71 Posts
Now that can only be done with a shock relocation kit?
GM changed to staggered shocks and multi-leaf for a reason. It eliminated wheel hop and snapping mono-leafs. It is definitely stiffer but mechanically much more durable, especially if you're often launching it at red lights or the strip. It's really easy to do and not that expensive. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looked at rearend today with the casting number 1235542B. Unable to read the numbers on the axle. Can't really find a concrete answer to what this is from or if it will fit my 67. Guy said it was for a 67 measured outside drum to drum and got 60. Hard to measure purches and get an accurate reading with center housing in the way. Any info would be appreciated. Its an 8.5 mono leaf.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts