Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of you know you always want more punch when you push the right pedal down, then when you get more after a while you want to squeeze out even a little more...I don't have detailed engine specs but here is what I do know;
68 coupe
Holly 600 4bbl
Edlebrock torker 2
Schnieder cam 278 222 2000-5800 rpm
Hei
Stock ex manifolds
Dual H pipe ex w/ flowmasters
Stock heads I believe it had the 327/210 hp originally
Had a PG w/ 10 bolt 2:73 rear recently I installed A M20 and 3:43 posi 12bolt
Timing adjusted to 36*

I'm thinking a good set of heads would really let this little engine roar. She's quick she can spin the tires but I'm looking for that punch. What do you guys think would do it for me? I'm not looking for anything over the top or crazy expensive. What would you guesstimate my HP is at now?

·
14,097 Posts
Like most of you know you always want more punch when you push the right pedal down, then when you get more after a while you want to squeeze out even a little more...I don't have detailed engine specs but here is what I do know;
68 coupe
Holly 600 4bbl
Edlebrock torker 2
Schnieder cam 278 222 2000-5800 rpm
Hei
Stock ex manifolds
Dual H pipe ex w/ flowmasters
Stock heads I believe it had the 327/210 hp originally
Had a PG w/ 10 bolt 2:73 rear recently I installed A M20 and 3:43 posi 12bolt
Timing adjusted to 36*

I'm thinking a good set of heads would really let this little engine roar. She's quick she can spin the tires but I'm looking for that punch. What do you guys think would do it for me? I'm not looking for anything over the top or crazy expensive. What would you guesstimate my HP is at now?
Hit it with Nitrous:D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Obviously more cubes would help, but if sticking with 327, a set of good modern 64cc aluminum heads will let this engine breathe. Those stock 210 hp heads pretty much suck. Also go to good flowing headers.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Hit it with Nitrous:D
That seems to be your solution for everything lately...

Not that there's anything wrong with it. :D

Heads will make a big difference. Stock 327 heads are restrictive.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
x3 on the heads. If you have the original heads from the 327/210 these are 1.72 in intake valves and really holding it back. Vortec may be the way to go. Stock double humps on 327/275hp are on the order of 155cc intake runner volume with 64 cc chambers. For a 327 not running very high rpms, I would stay under 170cc intake runners to keep the velocity up and if flat top pistons, stay with the ~64 cc chambers.

·
14,097 Posts
Heads are #1

I used some nice Procomp Heads that were built by Walker Racing in my SBC 406. Motor runs great and the guy I sold to has been beating on it pretty hard for 3 years now.

Walker Racing is in your neck of the woods.

I know lots of guys don't like PC but it all comes down to who puts them together. I got mine shipped fully assembled for under $700 for the pair.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have any experience with the edlebrock e-street heads? $1000 bucks gets you a pair of assembled heads with 64cc 185 runners w/ 2.02 1.60 valves. Seem like a decent entry head for what I'm looking for? Making a Xmas list early hahaha.

·
14,097 Posts
I also believe the stock cast iron manifolds nee to go ASAP

·
Super Moderator
32,526 Posts
Agree with most here - heads.
Since a 327 CID and short stroke, meaning low torque, you're going to have to build for torque - the effect used to peg the 'Seat-O-Pants' meter.

Don't go overboard on heads, stay small volume for keeping the intake charge suspended and fast velocity, and exhaust should be 70%-75% of intake by volume, paint Chebbie orange for the sleeper look. 1.94" intake diameter work well. Small chamber and steel shim head gaskets - be sure to 'hone' the deck and the heads for a good seal - use a new Norton India stone for honing and lube it to keep it clean. Better to remove dowel pins & emery paper the pins for a slip fit.

A good aftermarket dual plane alum manifold, again, paint Chebbie orange for sleeper look.

Take a set of exhaust manifolds and have them extrude-O-honed to increase the ID.
Change to 2.25 dual exhaust with X.

Now you will have a nice sleeper.
Good luck with your build.
Oh, lose weight in the Camaro - free power.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys thinking the 1.94 valves instead of the 2.02?? Once I find a set of heads I'm thinking will do the trick I'll post up the specs so you guys can chime in. I know there is tons of experience on this forum between everyone.

·
Super Moderator
32,526 Posts
You can never go wrong getting a 2.02 head. The 340/365HP-327CID's came with them.
I suggested them because they are more readily available and doable in a pinch.
If you are going to spend the money, go for 2.02's, and never look back.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hahah id rather have that nice 800 hp inline 6 MTU that boosts 56psi under the hood than the jet drive anyday :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Unfortunately just swapping a couple things is going to yield a limited gain on a relatively stock engine. Yes if you make it breathe a bit better, it will have some gains, limited. If you change the exhaust for a couple hundred dollars, it might pick up 15 hp if you are lucky. Bang for the buck nitrous is always a good answer, and while it may not be the answer you wanted to hear, john is right. Let's say you had 300 hp, and that might be generous. Very possible. Lets say you spend 800 on heads for a 10% gain in hp, well you have 330. Then you spend 300 to upgrade the piping for 10 more hp, and throw in some headers, that's 300 for a cheap set. Call it another 10 hp. Now you are at 350 hp. For $1400 you just picked up 50 hp. For $500, in a cheap nitrous kit used or not name brand, you can spray 125 hp, which will gain about 70ish to the wheels for about 1/3 the price. I dunno, just seems easier if you aren't going to go through a total rebuild. Maybe i am way off base though.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Then hit nitrious button a few times and ya can build it the way ya really want to when it comes apart. :D

From the seat of yer pants plant yer wanting, yer looking for torque, not HP, a 327 just isn't a torque monster to begin with.

Like above post has stated, a lot of money to gain 50 horse, and I'm not sure it's going to give ya the seat of the pants torque yer looking for.\

Not sure if your car is auto or manual, if auto, maybe a higher stall converter will give ya a lil seat of the pants boost for cheap.

(Oops, sorry reread and seen you already have an M20)

·
Registered
588 Posts
my 327 has 9.6CR, vortec heads, comp cams solid cam, performer rpm intake, scs 650 carb, turbo 350 with 9.5" converter and 4.10 gears, its a screamer, lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts