Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the help on my question on the 69 hideaway headlights not working. I was wondering if it would work and would it work better to change it over to 67 style with the motor actuator? Just wondering?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I feel your pain. Neither system was very well designed. The '67 gear motors were cancelled for '68 because of reliabiity issues, and the 68-9 versions did not help matters. For the money it would take to convert to electric I would try and find some good vacuum actuators, a switch, a hose kit, and do a door hinge rebuild. Eventually somebody will make a good actuator for the aftermarket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got the same issues with the headlight doors on my 69RS. The actuators are both shot. Last week my brother and I scrapped his RX7 that had a SBC in it. (long, scary story) I took the headlight motors from the RX7. They are pretty compact, switch activated, have limit switches, and mount with three bolts. Later this spring, I intend to manufacture some linkages and see it they will work.

------------------
67 Chevellle SS Conv
69 RS Camaro

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds interestng! (using the RX7 motors). I have a midly massaged 454 and the covers usually need a little nudge to open or close. Once they are started moving they are fine. Electric's would surely help out.

------------------
My car: 68 RS/SS BB Convertible
homepage: http://home.swbell.net/paxtonr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts