Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my 69 Z28 out yesterday after it had been sitting in the garage for the last 6 months. It started well and ran well for about the first 45 minutes but then started to stall under load. I'd be accelerating and the engine would die. I'd then have to sit for a few minutes (which isn't all that fun when your stuck on a busy highway) before it would start up again. I'd have to crank it for about 30 seconds before it would start but it would run rough. I finally got to where I was going and had it parkcd for a few hours. My return trip was much the same. It started and ran fine after sitting but started acting up after about 20 miles of driving.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to fix before I take it out again. The carb was recently rebuilt so I am suspecting a problem there. The symptoms appear to be a lack of gas when the engine gets hot. Is it the carb? It is the fuel pump? I'm not sure. I'm looking for ideas on how to troubleshoot this.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
206 Posts
Vapor lock?

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching,
4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had a problem like that with a '76 silverado once. Turned out to be the fuel pump...would run fine in town...but completely died out on the highway and would have to wait a decade to start it up again. Prolly not the answer to your problem...

·
Registered
49 Posts
next time when it quits just stop and dont do anything... take off the air cleaner and look into the prim side... pull to throttle rod did gas squirt out the acelerator jets?? if no then look for your problem in the fuel filter or fuel pump or something as hard to find as no vent to the gas tank causing vacumn....if when you took of the air cleaner you smelled all kinds of gas [remember you've been trying to start this beauty and probably been pumping the gas like hell] then you may have a bad coil or ignition part that is heat related...... good luck there is nothing like doing a diagnostic study on the side or some remote highway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts