Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed their 3 point seat belts, but the shoulder belt falls right across my neck. It's not comfortable and seems dangerous to me. My thought is a longer strap, the one that gets bolted into the roof would fix this. That or my other thought is to lower the bracket it mounts to, or add another plate with another hole lower to move it down. Anyone done either of these, or found another solution?

I contacted Morris Classic, but he said to tuck it into the headrest. I can't seem to do that and have it stay. That or attach a seat belt guide, but I have no idea what make/model might work in a 69 Camaro with stock seats?

Right now I have a fuzzy seat belt cushion thing on it, but that doesnt work great either. I am thinking just to ditch these and buy original style belts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
We recommend a strap sewn on the crown of the seat with a snap to hold the seat belt strap or fit a later model seat belt loop attachment under the headrest.
Pontiac G8, Mustangs, Mopars and other manufacturers have these as standard equipment.The issue with 3 points mounted in these classic cars is that the third point is really too far behind the seat, which creates a severe angle crossing the shoulder and across your neck.
The bracket we use is a direct duplicate of the original and bolts into the reinforced area of the
car.

Billy

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
We recommend a strap sewn on the crown of the seat with a snap to hold the seat belt strap or fit a later model seat belt loop attachment under the headrest.
Pontiac G8, Mustangs, Mopars and other manufacturers have these as standard equipment.The issue with 3 points mounted in these classic cars is that the third point is really too far behind the seat, which creates a severe angle crossing the shoulder and across your neck.
The bracket we use is a direct duplicate of the original and bolts into the reinforced area of the
car.

Billy
Is there a design fix for this? Does the problem exist for ProCar Rally seats as well?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm 5'7" and recently swapped the stock seats out for procar rally seats, and the belt hitting me in the neck problem got worse. Considering switching back to just lap belts... The Morris product is great, top quality and all, and they have to work within the mount points and safety regulations they were given, but it just isn't working for my height + seat combination.

(I'm not loving the procar seats either though, so who knows what I'll do.)

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Now, here are my MCC belts in my 67, with 4th gen seats. These seats used to be in my 77 and I used the 4th gen belt guides in that car. But not sure they'd work in this car. you can see I don't have them installed.

But I'm 6 feet tall and have none of the issues mentioned. Love the belts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Glad I kept my original shoulder/lap and original with custom foam for bolsters and original PUI seat covers on my original seats.
I'm also glad I kept all my mint original shoulder and lap belts (in a box) so I could install ones that function properly. I wonder how many people actually use those original shoulder belts anyway?

Reactions: Motohead

·
Registered
127 Posts
car.

Billy
Billy,
Your belts are most likely a life saver and a very wise choice. A couple pics of your suggestions would help.

·
Registered
471 Posts
BLM,

Thank You for your comments.We have had customers contact us that were involved in an accident.
Some of the accidents were really bad but with minimal or no injury to the occupant.
We use a drop down that helps decrease the angle across your neck and chest but there are limitations
as the drop down can't be below the shoulder. The clip picture attached above will change the angle across your body and move the belt off of your neck.
Billy

·
Registered
471 Posts
I talked with a guy from Chrysler that was involved in their crash testing in the 60s.
He said they found that wearing a lap belt only caused more injury to the occupant than not wearing a seat belt at all.The problem with wearing just a lap belt is it causes internal injury, ruptures your internal organs because all the impact pressure is compressing the soft tissues across the abdomen, the upper body pivots and your head smashes into the steering wheel or whatever direction you are thrown into. With a 3 point the force is distributed across the chest and pelvis which are solid parts of the body.Much safer but I agree there isn't any way to make
classic car 3 points as comfortable as modern day cars so we improvise with the drop down lanyard and a clip to change the position of the seat belt across the body.
Billy

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I'm 5'7" and recently swapped the stock seats out for procar rally seats, and the belt hitting me in the neck problem got worse. Considering switching back to just lap belts... The Morris product is great, top quality and all, and they have to work within the mount points and safety regulations they were given, but it just isn't working for my height + seat combination.

(I'm not loving the procar seats either though, so who knows what I'll do.)
What don't you like about the seats?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts