Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many have posted the ups and downs of all of the modern EFI bolt on kits, it got me thinking about what is the most reliable EFI out there? I’m planning on EFI in my next build on a 5.3 Gen IV block and I want it to be as reliable and possible. Stock EFI from a donor car/truck? Aftermarket (doubtful, but I ask), pieced together from several systems?

· Registered
199 Posts
There will be a lot of opinions on this. I have the Edelbrock ProFlo 4 on mine, it's been reliable for 2.5 years so far. If you're going with a 5.3 LS from a pickup truck, get engine, transmission, and harnesses together. You can have the ECU reflashed for whatever you do/don't use.

· Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There will be a lot of opinions on this. I have the Edelbrock ProFlo 4 on mine, it's been reliable for 2.5 years so far. If you're going with a 5.3 LS from a pickup truck, get engine, transmission, and harnesses together. You can have the ECU reflashed for whatever you do/don't use.
All I’m starting with is a bare 5.3 aluminum block that’s already prepped for building. It’s a clean slate.

· Premium Member
6,402 Posts
Without a doubt the most reliable is OEM. Aftermarket guys cannot do the level of reliability engineering and testing that GM does on their systems. I like Speartech harness quality but they are a little pricey. He was an engineer at GM before striking out on his own.

Don

· Premium Member
2,609 Posts
My Holley Dominator system has been working great for the last 4-1/2 years. The only issue was the dual sync distributor. I would never recommend running one. The one I had was supposed to be a better one after they fixed a known problem. A component in it failed and they don't sell replacement parts for a $400 item. The dual sync has a crank and cam sensor in it.

Reactions: ETriggs

· Registered
912 Posts
LS6 intake from GM is the preferred intake for cathedral ports which has a 3 bolt throttle body, the LS2 intake from a Trailblazer SS is the next one to consider but doesn't look the greatest, a bit bulky yet has a 4 bolt throttle body.

· Premium Member
3,076 Posts
I’ve never seen anyone play with the OEM one like the Dominator. Not that it hasn’t been done, just that I haven’t personally seen it yet.
Is it as easy to add nitrous programming Dry or Wet or boost and other add on’s as it is with the Holley stuff ? I wonder….

· Premium Member
6,402 Posts
I’ve never seen anyone play with the OEM one like the Dominator. Not that it hasn’t been done, just that I haven’t personally seen it yet.
Is it as easy to add nitrous programming Dry or Wet or boost and other add on’s as it is with the Holley stuff ? I wonder….
Question from OP was regarding reliability. If you want to play then Holley may be the way to go but it certainly won’t be the most reliable solution. Somehow I doubt the OP is planning on boost or nitrous….

My other concern with aftermarket EFI is long term support and obsolescence. But if you are happy with replacing something 5 to 10 years down the road because Holley no longer supports it then that is ok too.

Don

· Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Question from OP was regarding reliability. If you want to play then Holley may be the way to go but it certainly won’t be the most reliable solution. Somehow I doubt the OP is planning on boost or nitrous….

Don
Correct, no power adders for me on this build. I want it to have some healthy numbers (350-400HP/TQ) but I want it to be reliable to the point of taking anywhere, anytime on long trips. Thats why I went with a 5.3 block, it sort of restrains my design.

16,879 Posts
OEM ECU is the most reliable and has far more tuning capabilities than any aftermarket.

HP Tuners works well to tune although there is a long learning curve to be able to use it effectively.

· Premium Member
6,402 Posts
Is there a particular year or model ECM I should look for?
You will need an ECM that matches your engine. 24 or 58 tooth reluctor? DBW or DBC? Spend some time looking over the options on the Speartech site. You will see the various options and configurations. Most harness suppliers can supply an ECM preprogrammed for your application. Some are ready to run, some just get you started and you will need a tune. I try to run stock engines with stock tunes for simplicity. Most want to change cams etc so stock tune will not work.

Don

· Registered
199 Posts
IMHO - Here is where things start getting expensive, and it's just right out of the box. Starting with a bare LS long block, you're looking at a complete suite of top end parts (fuel, ignition and electric), front accessories, transmission and controller. Since this is going into a 1st gen, you're going to need everything to make the engine and transmission fit.

Have you set a budget for this build? Not saying it can't be done on a budget, but guys that do it, start with a leg up on the project.

1968 Camaro LS swap, TH350 FMFVB, 5000 stall, 12 bolt w/ 35 spline and spooled 4.10's
21,231 Posts
Cost effective and reliable...OEM.

· Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m not as worried about cost on this build as I am reliability. I’ve gone the cheap route and that’s bit me more than once since I refuse to learn some lessons. I don’t want to waste money, but I don’t mind spending a few extra bucks to make sure it lasts.

16,879 Posts
Is there a particular year or model ECM I should look for?
Check out PSI. They will supply you with a harness and ECM with a base tune. Also you will need the throttle pedal if going DBW.

Curious why spend the time and money on a 5.3 when you can go 6.0, 6.2 or 6.3 for not much more $?

· Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Check out PSI. They will supply you with a harness and ECM with a base tune. Also you will need the throttle pedal if going DBW.

Curious why spend the time and money on a 5.3 when you can go 6.0, 6.2 or 6.3 for not much more $?
Thanks! For this build, I’m trying to get a setup that will give decent HP/TQ, keep it ultra reliable, and somewhat decent MPG. If I get a 6.0 or bigger block now, I will undoubtedly go crazy with it and mess up the end goal. Don’t get me wrong, I want a car that has significantly more HP/TQ later on, but not on this build. I want to make my first “1st Gen” a keeper then go nuts on the second.

· Registered
21 Posts
I’d honestly bite the bullet and spend the money on a holley dominator. Few reasons one will control transmission two won’t need to upgrade again three will run MULTIPLE additional outputs. If you go to cam it leave it on self learn and it’ll tune it for you. Four there was a dyno video from west tech where they dunked a car with the dominator self learn didn’t touch anything dynoed it then tuned it with a professional tuner and there was only a 3 Hp difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts