Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of a 72 Camaro that is suppose to be the real deal since it was two years old. The second owner now deceased, purchased the car in 74. He sold it to the third owner around 78 who now still owns it. When the third person purchased the car from the second owner he claimed when he bought it from the original owner it was a real Motion Camaro. The third owner is willing to sell the car but has no documentation confirming the real deal. From personally knowing of this car back when it still had the side pipes, emblems, (which are still on the car) and the history of it I think it is the real thing. It's suppose to be the small block Phase III Z 30 automatic. As most of these cars were abused in the day the small block, trans, and rear were grenaded in the early years of it's life. It has a built turbo 400 and a 12 bolt with an exploded 454 in it now. My friends and myself that hung out with the prior owner of this car way back when he first purchased it assume to this day it is a real Motion. Back then documentation wasn't worth what it is now so it wasn't a big deal. I have the option to buy the car now and would like to see if it is real. If anyone can help me with finding out if it is real or not, it would be greatly appreciated. I can't find anything on decoding a Motion Camaro other than original documentation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
....I think he just MAKES **** up anyways...lol......Do people actually get a COPY of the INVOICE or is it just.." Take my word for it "..?? kinda deal..??lol..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're suppose to get the documentations as original, and, if it checks out that it is the real thing, he will sell the emblems to restore it. They're probably another two grand. I'm hoping to find someone with personal experience dealing with him.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Look in the COPO & Dealer forum, theres a few folks that lurk in there with dealings with Mr. Rosen
Whoa. When doing background checks prior to hiring, when a former employer will only say 'he worked here', that's a well known 'code' for 'no good'.:sad:

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
What color is the car on trim tag?

Would help if you can get NICB on the car to see who was original dealer.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I had some copies of original paperwork from a 72 Camaro that was converted by Motion in 1976,as well as a a receipt for Motion parts that were mail ordered for my 73 Caamaro back in 1977.The original paperwork for the entire car wasnt much different then the receipt for parts.The job for the entire car was writted up on the same kind of work invoice you would get when bringing your car in for an oil change at Jiffy Lube,but he crammed a whole lot of writing on it.It didnt include the plate number,vin number or any other identifing info about the car itself,just the owner's name and a contact phone number.This would be about all the info Joel would have had on any car.He also didnt stamp any identifing marks on anything he put into the car,so in this case the car would have rolled out of his shop with a generic LS6 crate motor with a hot rod cam and torker intake on it,with the stock 10 bolt rear with 4.10's stuffed in it,and the stock th350 trans with a shift kit and 3000 stall convertor in it.This particular car was bonafide original right down to the cracked up Motion installed wheelflares,turbine looking wheels and original paint,but for a car that has been around the block a few times,expect to have to come up with original owner name and the date Motion worked on it before he can go thru his pile of papers and see if he has something.Good luck.

BTW,the vast majority of real Motion cars were not Baldwin cars,so the original dealer info wouldnt be worth much.If the car had history of being from the New York area when new it would lend some credibility to the case.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I had a friend who has since passed away who had dealings with Joel a couple different times. Once when trying to document a 69 Camaro & again with a 69 Vette. This is several years ago when Joel was still in NY but my buddy said it was VERY frustrating to say the least. Joel asked for big bucks up front just to "look in the files" which was the fee for looking. If there was nothing found then thanks for the donation, if there was some good news then there was an additional fee for that info. In the case of the Camaro Joel wouldn't tell him anything at all about the car without cash up front but after my buddy told him the VIN Joel offered to buy the car from him sight unseen... Unfortunately for you he is the only one who can help you prove what the car is and that ain't cheap. Good luck with it and let us know how it all turns out. Keep in mind Motion was a speed shop and did a huge variety of stuff. If they built the car, painted it with their unique stripes, etc and you can prove it it has alot of value. If they simply did some upgrades for the owner at the time it's just another cool Camaro in my opinion. Being a smallblock car takes away alot of the WOW factor for some people as well since Motion is normally associated with big horsepower bigblock conversions. My buddys Vette was supposedly a real deal Motion built car (but not sold new by Baldwin Chevrolet) that was gold & black and the original owner played football for the Pittsburgh Steelers back in the day. The story I was told was that the original owner ordered it in gold from a PA dealer and had it converted by Motion & they also added the black stripes. Last seen in NH 3-4 years ago. Anyone know the car ?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Didn't Larry Clain SYC member Pantera own a Motion Corvette that was said to be owned by a Pittsburgh Steelers football player originally?Larry has since passed away and his cars were all stolen!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Didn't Larry Clain SYC member Pantera own a Motion Corvette that was said to be owned by a Pittsburgh Steelers football player originally?Larry has since passed away and his cars were all stolen!
My buddys name was Jeff Lamy. Some of the guys here knew him. He was from NH and if I remember correctly he bought the car from CA from an add in Hemmings Motor News many years ago. When he got it it had the wrong 350 engine in it and he had bought a ZL-1 to put in the car. The ZL-1 was one of the original Camaro engines complete with VIN number. That engine was sold to Roland Cassidy, the owner of Carrol Street Auto in Manchester, NH. http://www.carrollstauto.com/site/inventory.htm Him & Jeff were close friends and he probably knows where the Vette ended up. The engine was bought many years ago from a guy who had it in a Cobra kit car... Hopefully it has now found it's way back into the ZL-1 Camaro it was born with. Mike, "MR-427" another SYC member and an old friend was also good friends with Jeff and may have info on where the Vette ended up as well. I would try to track it down myself but I'm sure I can't afford it. I got a couple of these from Mike last year and no, they're not for sale.... :p

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You got that right,back in 1978 I had a 70 Elky with 350 and 4 speed Sadinaw and it took me 1 month to grenade it.It didn't help I put headers,cam ,intake and holley on it with 15x10 Cragar SS mags with N50 Goodyears ..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts