Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired
16,046 Posts
Actually my memory says it was not an option but a recall by Chev. It should be mounted on the drivers side mount, which is the lifting side of the torque on the Chev.V8. Ive seen them in photos of Camaro engines on this site alot. I dont have them so perhaps previous owners removed it or it never saw the recall.
Im sure other more up on this recall will post here too.

------------------
.... Jim aka Click :)
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White, Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers, close ratio ps, am/fm, 3.08 Posi.
A/C, fold down rear seat, Pwr Disk Brakes, Cowl Induction, Endura Bumper
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yup they were a lift stop that was used to keep the distributor from smashing into the firewall should the motor mount break. Must have been a problem back then. They were use allot on 302,350, and 396 motors. V-8 powered A/C cars did not use them because of the added weight of the compressor on the drivers side of the motor. At least that's what I have alway's been told over the years. As for rare. No, rather not often found. It would be a nice piece to add to your car to finish up a restoration.

Wacky

------------------
1969 Fully Papered and Documented Coupe.

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
First hand experience here!! It was a recall as stated and was meant to keep the throttle from sticking when a mount would break. With a broken mount you would step on the gas the engine would torque up on the driver side and hold the throttle from returning.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A 69 w/350 and AC should have the cable restraint on the passenger side only. For the recall, the drivers side engine mount was changed to the interlocking type.

------------------
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) (in progress)
'73 Corvette Drag Car

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I have a lift stop kit for a 69 small block with A/C. The instructions are to thread the cable through the motor mount tower, and attache the two eye ends to one of the A/C compressor bolts. I plan to modify it to work on my A/C big block by fabricating a 1" extension out of 1/8 bar stock.

I also have a kit for a b/b without A/C, but I don't think I can make it work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so John, should he have the interlock type on the drivers side? What happed is the motor was pulled and he is trying to put it back stock. The guy doing the engine work is puzzled about the cable being on the passenger side when he pulled the motor. He says he thought it went on the drivers. From what you are telling me, it sounds like it does in fact go on the passenger, with the interlock type on the drivers side, correct?

------------------
My '69 Conv. Website
or
FotoTime Pictures

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yes, there should only be a cable on the passenger side.

This is the way it reads from the "Chevrolet Dealer Product Campaign Bulletin", dated Feb. 18, 1972:

"Cable Unit- R.H. Part #330280
Mount Unit- L.H. Part #3990918
Instruction Sheet No. 330279
Usage- 1969 Novas and Camaros with 302 and 350 cubic inch engines with Air Conditioning.

This cable is for right installation only and includes the same parts and instructions as those for the right hand installation of Unit #330265.....with the cable looped over the manifold under the spark plug shield.

Engine mounting units are used for left hand installation."

The "engine mounting units" are described as interlocking mounts.

------------------
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'73 Corvette Drag Car

·
Registered
251 Posts
Gents,
I have an exciting part for those restoring a 69. I have the original fan shroud with the original tear from the fan when the motor mount broke. Try repo-ing that!!
$500 now or it goes on Ebay!!

Everyone have a happy new Year!!!

------------------
69 convertible
LT1 4L60E

·
Retired
26,951 Posts
So if I still had the shorts I was wearing when my throttle stuck WO back in the 70's, (because the driver side mount let go) would they be worth something on ebay as unrestored original memorabilia?
I think they accually would have to considered modified when that ordeal was over!!

Any idea why they didn't just replace the mounts instead of the cable system? that's what I did when I found the cause of the problem...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm sure that it was purely a monetary consideration. The "Labor Hours" to install the cables was .3, while the mounts were .8-1.0. Given the number of cars involved (5 million?), .5 hours in labor per car would add up quick.

------------------
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'73 Corvette Drag Car

·
3,176 Posts
Almost 7 million cars involved in the recall.

Neat site for all makes and models to look up reported Vehicle recall info:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/Rec1.cfm?SearchTopic=Vehicle

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 71V235000
Component: ENGINE:MOUNTS
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Year: 1968 Make: CHEVROLET Model: CAMARO Recall Date: 06/12/1981

Type of Report: Vehicle
Potential Number of Units Affected: 6682084

Defect Summary:
THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT A SEPARATED MOTOR MOUNT MAY ALLOW THE ENGINE TO LIFT, WHICH MAY AFFECT THE THROTTLE LINKAGE, MOMENTARILY INCREASING THROTTLE, POSSIBLY TO FULL THROTTLE.
Consequence Summary:
UNEXPECTED LOSS OF THROTTLE CONTROL MAY CAUSE LOSS OFVEHICLE CONTROL AND AN ACCIDENT.
Corrective Summary:
INSPECT ENGINE MOUNTS AND INSTALL RESTRAINTS WHICH WILL LIMIT ENGINE LIFT AND ELIMINATE POSSIBLE SECONDARY EFFECTS TO THE THROTTLE LINKAGE DUE TO ENGINE MOUNT SEPARATION.

------------------
Jeff 67/68(2) & 69 RS's

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
At the time, the availability of the new interlock mount was limited, and all available parts went to the plants; until enough new mounts were available for the field, the cable restraint was used for the field recall units. At the time, it was the biggest safety recall in GM history.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Interesting thread. I have a 69 parts car, 327, that has the cable on the driver's side only. I don't understand the need on the pass side(?)

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,Autogear M22,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts