Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, but this may be a dumb question, but I have read here that under acceleration, the drivers side of the motor raises up. Since I am within 1/4 to 1/2" clearance on my fuel pump to the subframe on the passengers side, will the motor raising up on the drivers side under acceleration cause the fuel pump to hit the subframe, or will this not be a problem...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The passenger side may raise from torque forces of the engine spinning.Shouldn't be an issue at 1/2". (generally not that much travel) If it's less than 1/4" it may be a problem.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
under acceleration, I thought the drivers side would raise and the passengers side (where the fuel pump is) would tend to move or rotate downward. This is where I am thinking I may have the problem with the fitting hitting the frame...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The DRIVER's side is the side that will rise up, but only if the motor mount is broken. If it's an old-style mount with no safety lock tabs, then the engine could easily rise more than an inch or two (assuming no headers).

This caused some accelerators to stick and a factory recall was issued in 1971 (unsure of that year) for the dealers to add straps which would hold down driver's side of engine in event that motor mount broke.

If you have a good motor mounts (not broken), then the fuel pump clearance you mention will never be an issue.

-

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
HarleyD67 said:
The passenger side may raise from torque forces of the engine spinning.Shouldn't be an issue at 1/2". (generally not that much travel) If it's less than 1/4" it may be a problem.
:clonk: Sorry, I meant drivers side. :clonk: But as said unless something breaks it's not an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts