Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
163 Posts
OP....I would not spend the $ on replacing a oil pump you don't know is "bad" (read they RARELY fail)
"Generally," a SBC wants 10 psi for every 1k rpm...so a motor idling at 700 rpm ..7 psi is fine if oil pressure otherwise increases to 25-40 under normal full engine temp use
When my K5 was acting up an old drag racer said as long as you have 5 your ok. I fretted that though and got in the habit on hot days and long red lights to put in neutral to get the idle up a tad to get increased OP. It was the oil pump though so I guess I had a "rare OP failure".

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS BBC Tremec TKO-600
29 Posts
I had a similar experience and found out that it was a faulty oil filter. It turns out that oil filters have a bypass valve in them that on rare occasions can get stuck open which can cause low pressure. Changing the filter seemed to solve my problem.

·
Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
163 Posts
All I use is either Wix or NAPA Gold (manufactured by WIX) in every engine I have including lawn equipment.
From test I've read about (although its been several years) these out performed their competitors. I read that Fram had one of the lowest ratings.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts