Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 cutlass with a 3.1 engine. The engine would not turn over after stopping to get gas. The starter bendix kicks in but does not turn the engine over. Battery checked ok, starter removed and checked ok, I put a wrench on the crankshaft. It would turn backwards like it should but would not turn forward any. Could it be a spun bearing??

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Might be hydrolocked, pull the spark plugs and try to turn the motor in the correct direction.
Thats the only idea I have.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 400bird, I tried that and no change. Could it be a spun bearing?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
400bird, I just talked with a machanic friend and he said it could be a broken timing chain. I'm going to remove the distributor cap and see if the rotor moves when I rotate the crank backwards. Does this motor have two cams and timing chains or one? I need a printed exploded view of this motor. Any ideas.
thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the problem. This car does not have a distributor. It wasn't the timing chain. I removed the belt and presto problem solved. The motor turns both directions. I checked the other accessory’s and found that the a/c compressor had locked up. Cars running fine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts