Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

It's been said that you shouldn't solid mount a radiator to the core support. If this is true? Why?

And if it's true, how should I go about mounting it? I'm reading about rubber mounts but I can't seem to find any camaro-specific ones. Any help is appreciated!

·
14,259 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Theoretically having solid mounts under the core support transmits more vibration to the core support and thus the radiator increasing the chance of metal fatigue of the radiator itself.

·
19,889 Posts
4 3/8"bolts no bushings and solid body mounts....knock wood...been fine for a long time now.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Theoretically having solid mounts under the core support transmits more vibration to the core support and thus the radiator increasing the chance of metal fatigue of the radiator itself.
That is always what I heard as well. The rubber mounts on the drivers side seem to give just enough to allow the radiator to flex not crack. I replaced mine with same style rubber mount when I pulled the factory radiator a couple years back.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have had my Camaro since 1997 and it has four 3/8 bolts mounting it to the radiator support. I have Global West aluminum body mounts too. Haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I installed stock rubber subframe and radiator support bushings on my car shortly after I bought it. They did not last long. Maybe 6 years before they started showing cracking and fatigue. This was in a car that was sparingly driven and always garaged.
I too read about potential problems with hard radiator support mounts and there possible effects, but after reading on here and Mustang forums, decided to go with poly mounts.
I like Mary Pozi's site for 1st gen info:
FIRST GEN SUSPENSION
Lots of good info on there.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
My radiator didn't like even the factory well-nuts when under warranty, then leaking in the core and needing repair on a regular basis. Solution: GM went to a simpler system the next year. They used a tray and let the radiator sit on/in it with rubber bushings. I built one. That was in '75 or so. I like it. Quick and easy to remove the radiator too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm sorry to say those mounts are not even close to what the stock ones look like. I'm still looking for a stock radiator mount new, used or whatever...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts