Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have another voltage regulator question. A few posts ago I asked about a "correct regulator" to replace my chrome aftermarket one. My question now is should the regulator be mounted to the front cowl using wellnuts and then a separate ground wire? My current regulator is screwed fast to the cowl with sheet metal screws, the wellnuts provided with the new regulator would never fit the holes without drilling them out. The base is then grounded through the screws.

I checked my neighbor's '66 Duece, he has an original stock Delco Remy. His is attached with the wellnuts and then a ground wire from the base of the regulator to the bolt that connects the horn relay to the front cowl.

What has me confused, my SS is a numbers matching car with a lot of original parts, obviously, the regulator is not. If it is suppose to be attached with wellnuts, maybe the radiator support got replaced at some time, there is no way to tell if that piece of sheet metal is original or not. It has the original "ZE" Harrison but it also was not mounted correctly on the LH side. My horn relay is original as are the horn brackets and wiring harness.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Donald, To my knowledge the regulator body is always grounded to the radiator support by a black ground wire. If the regulator is not grounded, it will not work. If the body of the regulator is grounded by the mounting screws, then it might be okay. Start the car and see if the battery is getting 13- 14 volts charge. If not, then try grounding the body of the regulator with the ground wire to the support and see if that works.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
I don’t own a 69 but according to this old thread it appears 67-68’s used a rubber well nuts and a ground strap to mount the voltage regulator and 69’s mounted directly to the radiator support.
Voltage regulator mounting - Team Camaro Tech

Possibly another 69 owner can confirm this.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
If that is correct, then the regulator will work. The body just needs to be grounded to the radiator support somehow. If you use the well nuts, then you must have a ground wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts