Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I have a fairly new deluxe interior in my 68 and I would like to keep it "mostly" stock. My only problem is I would like to have a few more inches of leg room for days when I drive it to work (an hour commute). Is there any way to move a stock seat back a few inches? Is there a good way to make an offset bracket or do I have to drill the floor pan? All suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can modify the stock brackets. If you're not a welder just do the cutting, and take it to an exhaust shop to have the welding done. Fairly simple. Do a search on "leg room" in this forum and you'll come up with what you need.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you're a welder do what I did, firstly i've got 93 Mustang recaro style seats in the car, and a power seat track out of a lincoln for the drivers side, along with switches.. then modified it to fit in the Camaro, so basically a power operated seat, with muliple positions, up/down/tilt, etc.... I didn't want to modify the floors so that I can easily go back to my original seats, whenever I feel like it...

I would say modify the tracks, or get another set of tracks and modify them. so that in the future you always have the option of going back to original position...

·
Registered
755 Posts
I cut the "feet" off the stock brackets and welded the rest of the bracket to a piece of steel strap (2 pieces of 1/8" X 2" mild steel flat stock approximately 16-3/4" long per seat). The strap extends forward of the original front foot. I drilled mounting holes in the strap matching those in the feet - allowing for a setback of 1-1/2" and then bolted them down.

You can adjust the height somewhat by the amount of leg you cut off with the feet. Also, keep in mind that the seat platform under the brackets is sloped slightly to the rear. As you move the seat farther back you'll get additional headroom.

The brackets and adjustments work great. If you feel bad about cutting up the stock brackets just buy a spare set.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Why not take bar stock and drill it to match the floor nuts. Then place the stock seat tracks on the bar stock at the point you want the seats to be. Drill out the barstock and counterbore the back side for a tapered head bolt. Tack the bolts so they won't spin, and tighten nuts on the top side. If you ever want to go back stock, just remove the bar stock and reinstall the seat tracks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There's a guy selling these plates on e-bay. He says they are reproductions of rare over the counter items for taller original owners. Will move the seat back 2 inches. T

·
Registered
755 Posts
There are probably a number of good ways to do this. The reason I cut the feet off my tracks was to gain some additional headroom as well as legroom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts