Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a very basic battery-to-trunk project. Built the bracket out of an old hollywood bed frame, and ran 1/0 welding cable for the pos wire over the wheel well and into the wiring gutter under the sill plate, and through a bulkhead connector under the heater box, then a short cable to the solenoid. The neg cable is simply attached to the q-panel support (convert) where there is an unused 3/8-16 nut welded there. At the front, I used a 1/0 ground from the subframe (welded a nut there) to the engine block. I have welded SFC's on the car. While I was at it, I wired the purple "S" wire to a 50A Bosch relay, which draws power from the bulkhead connector. Also installed a PMGR starter. It all seems to work very well.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,457 Posts
I'll also be running the battery in the trunk in my project '68, but with a remote solenoid as well. I just don't like the idea of a big, unfused, constantly hot 12 volt cable running the length of the car.

Probably overkill, but then that describes the entire project.

Trunk looks good with the new spatter paint and nice job on the bracket.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,457 Posts

·
19,907 Posts
I'll also be running the battery in the trunk in my project '68, but with a remote solenoid as well. I just don't like the idea of a big, unfused, constantly hot 12 volt cable running the length of the car.
Thats what I did....Ford noid in the trunk next to battery.

trunkbat.jpg

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did give both of those options (solenoid, breaker) a lot of thought, and for sure both would be ultimately safer than what I did. But I don't believe what I did is unsafe. The cable is secured approx every foot with insulated clamps. I doesn't/can't rub against anything, and is not strapped under the car where it is subject to road rash.

If the same amount of care/concern was routinely given to the pos cable in underhood battery installs (battery mounted solenoids or breakers) I would take pause, but I just haven't seen that.

Anyway - that's how I rationalized my way out of a bunch of extra wiring. I don't fear the long cable!

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,457 Posts
I did give both of those options (solenoid, breaker) a lot of thought, and for sure both would be ultimately safer than what I did. But I don't believe what I did is unsafe. The cable is secured approx every foot with insulated clamps. I doesn't/can't rub against anything, and is not strapped under the car where it is subject to road rash.

If the same amount of care/concern was routinely given to the pos cable in underhood battery installs (battery mounted solenoids or breakers) I would take pause, but I just haven't seen that.

Anyway - that's how I rationalized my way out of a bunch of extra wiring. I don't fear the long cable!
I'm not saying what you did was unsafe - I am saying I'm paranoid. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did a very basic battery-to-trunk project. Built the bracket out of an old hollywood bed frame, and ran 1/0 welding cable for the pos wire over the wheel well and into the wiring gutter under the sill plate, and through a bulkhead connector under the heater box, then a short cable to the solenoid. The neg cable is simply attached to the q-panel support (convert) where there is an unused 3/8-16 nut welded there. At the front, I used a 1/0 ground from the subframe (welded a nut there) to the engine block. I have welded SFC's on the car. While I was at it, I wired the purple "S" wire to a 50A Bosch relay, which draws power from the bulkhead connector. Also installed a PMGR starter. It all seems to work very well.

Nice work!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
That's one solution. I still prefer a dead 200 amp circuit unless I'm starting the car, to a constant hot, fused 200 amp circuit. Maybe it's just me.
Ever wonder how many thousands of daily driver cars have a factory installed rear battery with a hot cable running the length of the car?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ever wonder how many thousands of daily driver cars have a factory installed rear battery with a hot cable running the length of the car?
I factored that in as well. My brother has an '06 SS Cobalt and my dad has a 2000ish BMW, both with trunk mounted batteries and that's how they are done. Both also have a short neg cable grounded to sheetmetal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts