Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a cheap way to move a non running Camaro from Michigan to Maryland? I don't have a truck or trailer. The car is a project car.
Thanks

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you don't have a friend that you can borrow one from, rent one from Uhaul. They have both two wheeled dollies and trailers. The trailer would be the best idea.

·
15,370 Posts
I tried getting a tow-dolly (front wheels ride on) from UHaul and they said they don't offer one that a First Gen. fits on. I didn't argue with the guy. I flat-bedded it instead. All the rental companies have car trailors.

Also, depending on the local rules where you live and providing you have AAA, they'll tow it anywhere for you for free. But the car has to be running. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Good luck

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
[email protected]
[email protected]
'69 wallet crusher
'97 Blazer - Bad wheel hop!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Chief,

I would check on the cost of getting a U-HAUL truck just large enough to fit the car into (a 17 footer would do most first gen's), and roll the car up onto a loading ramp and roll it inside. The just chock and chain it and drive away. Been there done that>

Just don't tell U-HAUL what you are doing.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I moved mine from Ohio to South Carolina. I rented a U Haul trailer and a Ford F250 truck.
The total cost was under $200. It was less expensive to rent the trailer and take it to Ohio and back.
The trailer was great towed like it wasn't even there.
Arley

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info, I guess I need to do a little shopping around to find a good deal. Thanks for all the input. Just for information I have restored 2 67's and a 69 in my life time. I think I'm going through a mid life crisis wanting to do another one. Wife isn't really wanting to play this time. So budget is low on initial purchase. Does anyone live near Detroit?
Thanks.
Chief

·
11,296 Posts
HwyStarJoe, U Hual didn't have a tow dolly that would fit a first gen??? What's that all about? I rented a tow dolly from Uhaul and towed my 69 convert backwards (cause I didn't trust the rear and tranny) and it fit just fine! I did have a few worries about the steering column staying locked, but it was fine. Towed it 50-75 miles, but that's just small change compared to the trip cpodeep wants to do.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arley
It sounds like you got a heck of deal, just got off the phone with U-Haul, the quote was around $700. 69 cents a mile plus the regular daily fees. Will only rent trailers one way. This is getting to be a real pain in the A-s. Might just give up and go buy a Honda....NOT

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
cpodeep

Check out the local rental places. They usually rent trailers by the day and don't ask a lot of questions. Forget U-Haul. They have WAY too many friggin' rules.

I rented a very nice aluminum, tilt bed car transport last week from a local rental for $59 a day.

Mark

[This message has been edited by mbrekke (edited 11-01-2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey i own a U-HAUL dealership here in KY if i can help let me know and i will set you up with a u-haul and i use the TD's with my 69 SS when im working on it at the other shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts