Team Camaro Tech banner

Moving alt. from driver's side to pass side.

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dubs68camaro 
#1 ·
I have a BBC and want to move the alt from the driver's side to the pass side so the engine compartment has better cosmetic balance, instead of the pump and alt on the same side. I also need to install my water pump and need to know if the brackets used on the pass side incorporate the water pump bolts or not. I'd like to go all stainless if possible but I'm not sure if I'm going to have to use one of those bolts that has a stud on the end for the alt bracket or not.

Any pics you guys could post of the front of your motor would be AWESOME!!! To have it described is one thing, but to see it makes it sooooo much easier. Thanks!!!

#2 ·
Where it gets weird is that along with pass side alternator mounting, chevy went to long water pumps and heads with accessory holes.

If you have accessory holes, it's possible to change everytihng forward of the timing cover to 69 stuff to get what you want. Note that your fan will move 1" closer to the radiator, do you have room for that?

You might also look into aftermarket brackets. I believe allen grove has the biggest selection of "weird stuff" and may possibly have a short pump pass side alt setup, tho I gotta say I never seen one anywhere.

Other company's that do "street rod style" stuff may have what you want as well.

#4 ·
69 and up were pass side alt and long water pump and accessory bolt holes in the heads across the entire Chevrolet line (excelt Corvettes, which kept short pump / drivers side thru 82)

68 and earlier were all short pump, drivers side.

So what you have is correct for a 68, tho with a newer engine you do have the accessory holes to switch to the 69 up setup if you wish.

#5 · (Edited)
I moved mine to the passengers side. I have a short water pump set up since my car is blown. That's why it moves it outward of the valve cover. No room with the short pump to mount it in front of head. One, problem... I bought it so long ago I don't remember where I got it. I'll look thru my records and see if I can come up with something. It was not chrome plated when I bought it, just natural steel. I had the chrome done. It's a pretty simple set up, 3 flat steel brackets, some spacers and bolts. It works well though. Oh, one more thing, I have the stock fender liner in place now (lower pic) and it clears it fine. I have more pictures if you'd like to see them.

Here's a few pictures.

#7 · (Edited)
If you're short water pump, this set up would work for you. I know it took me a while to find a set up that would work for the short pump. I really didn't have a choice with the blower. I did it for the same reason you want to. I didn't want the P/S pump and the alternator on the same side with nothing on the other side.

O, Sorry about the motor, next time I'll black it out of the picture. lol. That's actually the only picture I had of that showed the alternator set up here at work. I do have other close ups pictures of the alt. set up on the motor. There on my home computer. I could post them if you want to see them.

Ah, it's not really a mountian motor anyway, it's only 427 cuin. Tiny for a big block these days... lol.

#8 ·
Thanks! I did a bunch more research and realize that I'm going to have to go with the long pump to get the alt from touching the damn fender well. Not all bad though....I found out my 460 has a correct 1967 396 and 427 water pump. I'll be able to sell that on eBay and get MORE than enough to cover the new pump and pullies! Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.