Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun fun fun..... I think I am having fun :) :)

I am wiring up my 71 Camaro with the new motor and am confused with the wiring for the MSD Ignition system 6AL. I thought I had the wires all marked but I guess not as I can't figure it out. This was all hooked up before I pulled the motor so it is not new. Was running great, except the tach didn't work properly.

I have a Large Cap HEI distributor with a 5 pin module.

the MSD site says;

Red wire - to switched 12 volt source. got that one figured out, I think.

Orange - to positive terminal on coil. I assume that is the labelled BAT on the top of the cap next to the one labelled TACH

Black - negative terminal on coil - NO IDEA where this one goes.

White - connects to the points, electronic ignition applifier output or yellow wire of MSD timing accessory. AGAIN NO IDEA. Is this one of the three terminals next to the BAT/TACH terminals.

I tried calling MSD but they are closed til Monday.

I have looked at page 17 of the MSD site but it only confuses me more.

anyone have any ideas or clearer drawings of the wiring?

I am trying to convince myself I am still having fun....... might have to drink beer until MSD open on Monday

Smokey

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
On the coil there are two posts.. one marked + the other -. Orange wire to the + and black wire to -. Depending on the wires coming from your Dist. white wire may not be used.
Thick Red wire to Battery and Big black wire to ground

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I have to disassemble my distributor cap to find the coil and figure out which wire is which? Smokey

·
Registered
967 Posts
smokey, Your old ignition wire (hot when key is on)(Hevy red or pink) now goes to the small msd red wire. This hevy red or pink use to go to the Batt. terminal on the dist. You wont use Batt. terminal on dist anymore.
These terminals should be marked on the top of the coil cover. Orange msd wire to B+ and black msd wire to C-.Between these 2 terminals is a Gnd. terminal. Ground it to the body or chassis. White not used. There is also a Tach terminal on the dist. This terminal should be closest to the left front corner of cap.
If you didnt change dist you should be ok. A Vac advance dist shows pulling the module out and installing a harness.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If b and c are not marked, b is the terminal behind Batt. (Batt not used) C is behind tach. Ground is between b and c. Again batt wire now goes to small red msd wire to agtivate msd box. Other harness wires coming out of dist need to be pluged in to msd box as well.(green and violet harness)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sixd8rs,

Thanks for the help. I almost have it now. I have the red, orange and black wires figured out. I don't have any other wires coming out of the dist. The Magnetic Pickup Connector was never used before and it ran great, except the tack didn't work.

Where does the white wire hook up to. MSD says the white goes to the "electronic ignition amplifier output" what or where is that? The previous owner didn't have them (he split it into two white wires) going anywhere. They were taped up and when I took the tape off they just fell apart not sure if there was another wire with them. I remember when I took it apart, when they fell apart I didn't know for sure what they were connected to and would have a problem when hooking this back up.

The previous owner had the red wire spit into two one going to the 12 volt source and the other I "thought" (I marked it but must have marked it wrong) went to negative on the coil but that can't be right. Why would it be split into two?

I hope this makes some sense but I am real paranoid when it comes to electrical and wiring. I don't want to rush it just because everything else is done and I just want to turn the key on the new motor.

Thanks again

Smokey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts