Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a 6AL box,pro billet dist. & blaster ss coil in my 68. All this stuff was new the dist. was run in my motor on dyno for break-in.When everything was hooked up in car,no spark! Performed test as detailed on pg. 10 of inst. no luck called MSD they said box malfunction sending box to them. Anyone else had this happen? I went over everything a dozen times ,all wiring on car is new repro. just my bad luck?

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
Yes, I ran the box one season, it broke, I bypassed it, car ran better. Haven't been back since. That's been 8 years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everett unfortunately I bought the dist. that must be ran with a box.I wish I'd purchased the ready to run model that can be run w/stock set-up.This is my first exp. w/ MSD products.We learn from our mistakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently replaced my ignition system with all MSD parts... 6AL, distributor, Blaster 2 coil and wires. I couldn't be happier and it works flawlessly.

Kinda think you may have just gotten a bad box.

Good luck.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have always had improved performance from MSD boxes. All I can say is send it back to them, they are very good with repair/warranty work. I just sent them my 6-AL box to get it re-cased and redone internally. Send it to them and let them check it/ fix it and then put it back on and go. You should be fine.

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback fellas, just very frustrating when you think you're about ready to get your car back on the road & another problem arises.Just have to step back & take a deep breath.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Beleive me, I know what you mean. I've been there alot lately. It doesn't really bother me any more. I just figure, let me get all these problems worked out now, so there will be less to worry about when it's 'finished' Beleive me, you would have been a Hell of alot more frustrated if it had worked good for a day and then decided to konk out. You know what I mean. Just take that deep breath and hang in there, you'll be smoking those tires before you know it.

Mike

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
How would 'JUMP STARTING' a vehicle cause an MSD ignition to get fried?!?!? You aren't increasing the voltage past 14.4 volts, the unit isn't drawing more amperage (although you should always have it fused anyways), so I see no way for a jump start to destroy an MSD unit.

·
19,869 Posts
The only problem I had with the 6al is my times went from 14.0 - .2 to 15.8+... found out real quick...run good wires.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
I had some problems when I first hooked up my 6AL. The first thing I learned is the #10 black and #10 red should be hooked directly to the battery. My box is mounted under the dash and I tried hooking the ground to the dash and the #10 red to a distrubition power block that I had mounted under the dash. The car ran fine for about 2 months then it would not start. I sent the box back to MSD and they repaired and I rewired the #10 wires to the battery. My battery is in the trunk and I didnt want the hassle of running the wires to the trunk. Another problem I had was at a car show and it would not start. What a bummer. Check and check and I always carried the jumper wire in the glove box for the 6Al test. Box tested fine but still it would not start. Finally found a bad rotor, the metal tang was loose from the rivet ( Accell Dist. ). Replaced the rotor and it started. I havent had a problem in about 6 years. Knock on wood. You might want to buy a spare box. That is what I did. Good luck and dont get fustrated. It will work out and MSD will fix it free if it under warranty or if it is out of warranty they will fix it for about $40.00. They also have a good tech forum on there website. Check it out. Also jump starting your car will not burn up the box unless you take the ground wire on the box and touch it to 12 volts.

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
On another car I wired it had a HEI 4 or 5 wire dist with a 6A box and if I wired it like the book said it would not fire. I hooked the HEI with out the box and it would run fine. It took me about 3 phone calls and emailing the MSD website trying different things. I finally talked to one of the tech guys and he told me to wire the pickup directing to the 6A box. After that it was fine. There manual is wrong.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sent box to MSD for repairs, got it back reinstalled in car fired right up but ran on w/ ignition key off.Need to install diode incl. in kit, while working on car was called away& accidently left key in on position for maybe 30 min. came back car won't fire.Call MSD again they said I need PN 3380 noise filter &surge protecter along w/ diode & yes box is fried again.MSD said must be getting surge back through box somehow. WHAT A PAIN!!!! Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey fellas look at my post on MSD 6AL problems in this section sorry I posted under wrong topic. THANKS AGAIN.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Prostreet that's what tech line at MSD also said to do ,picked one up from Summit. I'll let you know how things work out, thanks for the help. Oh yea I'll try to remember that key thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got mine installed. It didn't work, came here for troubleshooting. Mine AL6 Digital, popped the "on" ignition 15A fuse under the dash. Found two things. 1. The front of my distributors coil + was connected to 12V, it shouldn't be connected. No-one told me that, the wiring diagram just shows nothing connected to it 2. When I installed the wires to the rear three connectors on the distributor, I had one slightly not connected, which really means not connected the middle wire! Got it all fixed, turned it on and OMG the thing came to life and roars!

Was so impressed with the results, I spent an hour trying to sign up for Camaros.net (text is faster - and works) and writing this reply.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts