Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is a simple one. My instructions for the above are written like I have a factory GM harness to simply plug it into. Fat chance. :) So the blaster has a two wire connector for + and - . I can see that the plus (an orange wire) should be run to the ignition controlled positive. My question is, where is it picking up the - via the black wire? I currently have the black wire headed to my Mallory distributor and tach. Should this wire also be going somewhere else in the car? I had assumed it would pick up the negative by virtue of being mounted to the firewall.

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update on this. I called MSD and they tell me that the coil negative (black wire) should be going to the Distributor Controller and the tach. So evidentally the way this works is that my Mallory HEI has a three wire plug on it- one to ground, one to coil positive and one to coil negative. The coil negative wire has current flow coming from the direction of the distributor. The distributor circuit collapses each time IGN fires due to its connection to ground. So ground can then make a loop back to the coil as negative for a split second.

Does this make sense to anyone out there? Seems reasonable... but feel like I got a technical explanation that I only half followed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts