Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spotted a funny thing today in the garage. Walked by the car with the hood up. Car is turned off and I have a battery master kill switch which was turned off so no power in the car and the indicator light on the msd box is blinking away like morse code! The box is wired exactly as per the instructions, has been in the car for two plus years and I have never seen this before. Thoughts? Ground issue? I disconnected the positive battery terminal and the light goes out of course as the main red wire comes off that post as per the instructions. Reconnect the positive cable light flashes then goes out. Stare at it for a while and nothing. Walk away, come back 10 min later and sure enough its flashing again! ?????

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Stop blinking! Sorry couldn't help myself and obviously you either. I have no clue may have to call customer service unless someone else can actually answer.

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
I know nothing about MSD but the electrician in me thinks the red wire needs to on the other side of the disconnect. You say that there is no power in the car because of the Master Kill switch yet the MSD is powered. That still doesn't tell us why the MSD is blinking which I would think is a trouble code of some kind.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know nothing about MSD but the electrician in me thinks the red wire needs to on the other side of the disconnect. You say that there is no power in the car because of the Master Kill switch yet the MSD is powered. That still doesn't tell us why the MSD is blinking which I would think is a trouble code of some kind.

Jeff
The master kill switch takes ground away from the battery so wouldn't that not allow power to the box or because it has a direct wire off the positive terminal it will be powered no matter what?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I assume that the box has a chipset that takes power from the direct lead all the time. Your master kill switch if it is after the battery post but before the cable connector and the small power lead is in fact Killing power to the whole car and the MSD box and the light is telling you the diagnostic code or maybe power failure or loss of programming information.

But if your master kill is after the cable connection and therefore the lead has power all the time the box may know that the starter has no power somehow. I would pull the manual from your garage wall or look it up at the MSD site. :)

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
The master kill switch takes ground away from the battery so wouldn't that not allow power to the box or because it has a direct wire off the positive terminal it will be powered no matter what?
I don't think I've ever seen a master disconnect in the ground cable. In theory it should work because it interrupts the circle of electrical flow but IMHO too many possibilities for a small wire to still be connected at the battery terminal. I feel you can't get a blinking light on the MSD without a ground back to the battery somewhere.

Jeff

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
From the MSD site forums for Digital 6 box blinking: https://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9032
I have gone over this site and others and have only come to the conclusion as well as an MSD tech that the Blinking Red which is roughly one blink per second means some sort of battery or charging issue. Problem with that is that the Big Red and Black go straight to battery which is only about 20 inches away. The Alternator is Brand New not rebuilt etc. The Serpentine and tensioner are Brand New as well. Car reads Rock steady 14+ Volts on the gauge. So my question is what do I do now to figure out issue????
Download your versions manual and the code - sequence of blinks - will tell you what is wrong.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I've ever seen a master disconnect in the ground cable. In theory it should work because it interrupts the circle of electrical flow but IMHO too many possibilities for a small wire to still be connected at the battery terminal. I feel you can't get a blinking light on the MSD without a ground back to the battery somewhere.

Jeff
that's what i am thinking Jeff. the master kill switch i have installed takes the entire ground for the car out when switched off. the motor is grounded to the frame in two spots but the actual negative terminal on the battery goes away with the switch. this setup has been on the car for two years and i have never seen this before. Are most guys wiring the kill switch to interrupt the positive circuit? if that's a safer approach, i can always go that route.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
My "Battery Brain" unit is on the positive post of the battery and all the units I have ever seen interrupt the positive leads, Full cable to starter including the small wire.

Brian

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My "Battery Brain" unit is on the positive post of the battery and all the units I have ever seen interrupt the positive leads, Full cable to starter including the small wire.

Brian
got it. perhaps i should look at redoing my system to work on the positive circuit.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Did you download your manual and decode the flashes of your box?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts