Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a msd billet dist. and a 6a ignition box. When it idles, i get a screaming noise. I think from the alternator.We i rev it to higher rpm's the noise goes away. Or could it be from the dist. drive gear? Instructions said something about to monitor gear break-in and wear pattern. Thanks,Roger

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a friend listen to the noise. Sounds like a high pitch whistle coming from the dist. May be the vaccum advance can. Noise goes away when you rev the engine up. This is a brand new dist. just installed. We unhooked the vaccum line for it, but still made the noise. Any ideas? Thanks,Roger

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Maybe it's sitting too deep?

You could try pulling it and checking the pattern on the gear...

MSD makes an adjustable collar for some of their distributors..

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTophttp://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 05-03-2002).]

·
10,147 Posts
Might be a dry bearing for some reason. Have it spun on a distributor machine or try spinning it with a drill. - Out of the engine of course!

David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might pull it out and look at it. I have only ran it about a half hour since installed new. This one doesn't have an adjustable collar. It is in a 71 chev 350 with an edelbrock performer rpm intake. Are there dist. spacers if i find it is in too deep? If it has a dry bearing, msd can give me a new one. Hate to have a problem with a new part, but i guess it happens. I will call the msd tech line first. Anyone else have had this problem? Thanks,Roger

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the dist out and spun with a drill, no noise. Put it back in, and it started screaming again. Took it out and exchanged for a new one, No more problems. Must have had a lemon from the factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts