Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MSD-6AL box on my 68 Camaro SS. Quick stats sbc 383 with a GM HEI distributor. Everything was working fine for almost a whole season, then the car died. Checked spark, it is orange. Replaced coil- no change. Looking for suggestions or preferably experience. My fellow racers.......I salute you.
-steve

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I had the same problem. I ended up sending the box back to MSD, got it repaired, and bingo. The problem with MSD boxes is that they are sensitive to vibration. With my current unit, I had rubber mounts and it's been fine.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 350, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just for grins check the rotor in the distributor. The HEI is famous for smoking the rotor or the carbon button in the cap. These hot ignitions are hard on parts. And by the way, welcome aboard.

------------------
Black 69 camaro

[This message has been edited by HOTROD69CAMARO (edited 02-20-2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Because of the high currents and voltages involved, the MSD units are also famous for smoking their output SCR's and driver transistors! This is why all the roundy-round boys run complete, redundant ignition systems including a distributor with dual pickups, two coils, two MSD boxes, and a distributor cap with two coil wire bosses.

If the cap and rotor check out OK, I'd bet that the box is on it's way out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts