Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MSD Digital 6 box, Blaster 2 coil, 8361 Billet dist. My problem is that the car doesn't idle smoothly and shuts off at times,also it sputters and almost quits sometimes at cruising speed. The ignition man had said Made in Mexico coils were failing mine doesn't have a Made in sticker on it. Should I replace the coil, what other type coil?

Billy

·
Registered
183 Posts
The new MSD coils, all of them, are now made in China, and have no sticker on their bottoms. Dave doesn't like them very well, I know, I asked him about them.

Regards,

Milton

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your comments. I talked with MSD today they are trying to say it is the Carb. One tech said it is the pick up . Then the first thing I need to do is replace the coil? What brand?

Billy

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Anyone elses opinion?? Coils
Billy
I'm in the same boat with the same ignition, box and coil. Im sure there is something better but i will wait until im down that road. So far so good other then the carbon button in the cap wearing out prematurely and a little corrosion on the dizzy.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
MSD moved to the dark side???! China?:mad:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had the same problem and wound up adjusting the floats on my speed demon 850 and solved the problem.
It would hessitate at mid range and just stall out at times around 2200 rpm cruising.
L1 427 full msd ignition 6al b2 and dist 850 speed demon streetmaster lunati cam
air fuel mixture out and floats lowered did the trick.
Msd can also tell you how to test the box at idle to check for proper voltage.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You for the reply. I have checked and set the float level.
Talked with MSD they said either Carb or mag pick up. They didn't tell me I could check the unit while it is running so I'll call them tomorrow.
Thank You, Billy

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I remember correctly the msd box should register between .5 and 5 volts at idle.
Mine was right at 3 volts
I think all you have to do is contact the tach output to the + on the volt meter and - on the meter to ground.
They do higly suggest you run your ground directly to the battery from the box.
The guy I speak to is Bass and Anthony...Bass is the tech.
hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts